vacuum bagging

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Nofi's Nest, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Nofi's Nest

Nofi's Nest Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    North East Georgia
    You all were so great about responding about my freezer question. How about vacuum bagging. I've read a few reviews and all I seem to come up with is they are no good.

2. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

We have a Foodsaver "Professional II" We've had it for YEARS (I'm not sure if they still make this mode, LOL).
    We use ours ALL.THE.TIME (to seal bulk-purchased meat, veggies, etc). It got used EVERY day while I was breastfeeding (two kids for a year each) to seal the frozen milk.
    I swear by it.

3. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    We use ours all the time for processing large batches of chicken, beef, etc. We love ours and don't understand the "knock" on them? Could you elaborate?

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I use mine all the time as does my processor. I've not heard to much negative said about them on here, most people who have them tend to really like them.

5. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I works ok with liquid? I thought the liquid would get sucked out.

6. sben451

sben451 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    We have used our Foodsaver several times to package our birds for the freezer. It works great IMO. The bags are pretty thick and protect the meat well. There are some settings on the Foodsaver to help deal with any liquid. You can control the sealing process manually. There should be info on their website. [​IMG]

7. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    I have a Foodsaver and my only complaint is that the cutter blade got rusty, after about 4 years, and is useless...I'm sure it is replaceable, though...I just use scissors.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:nice deanner! where do you get the bags for it since you dont know they make that model anymore-whats your secret! I would love a machine for my meaties-I bought one and it sat for a year-un-used and I returned it!

9. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    you goober why didn't you use it? everything I put in my freezer is vacumm sealed, no freezer burn ever again! I even sealed my shredded zucchini 3 cups per bag for bread all winter!

on every machine I have seen there is a setting for wet food, my machine is just an el cheapo from walmart and it works great. and as far as I can tell most bags work on every machine, unless maybe you got some that were to wide, but they seem pretty standard.

10. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    Everything that we process goes into the vacuum bags, from the meaties, garden produce and fish that we catch. We have a nothing fancy foodsaver. The only problem which to us in nothing, you can't fit roasters bigger then I would say 6lbs in them unless you quarter the bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by