Vacuum bags for large chickens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Mrs. Mucket, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Has anyone found a great deal on vacuum bags for large (7-8#) chickens? How about regular (non-vacuum) plastic freezer bags?

2. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    Sorry, can't help with the vacuum bags.

We bought one of those vacuum machines years ago and I hated it. I never could get it to work right for me. I also hate anything I have to buy proprietary consumables for. (Small town, few shopping choices.) I'm a big fan of freezer paper though, especially since it's cheap, readily available to me and I can write on it.

Somewhere on the USDA site I remember something about double wrapping in plastic being suitable for pretty much everything. I buy 2 gallon freezer bags that I can label and re-use. Everything goes into either regular freezer bags and I squeeze out as much air as possible or freezer paper and then into the appropriate 2 gallon bag.

Like I buy bacon by the 10lb box, separate into 5 different 2lb portions, put each portion into a freezer bag or wrap in freezer paper, label and then put all 5 packages into a 2 gallon freezer bag labeled BACON.

For bigger and odd shaped stuff, I like the big twist tie bags too. I've always got them around for loaves of bread and such. One or two, easy to squeeze out the air and just tie off, then into the giant freezer bags.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by