vacuum waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cmitcham, Jul 24, 2011.

1. cmitcham

cmitcham Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    my 5 gallon galvanized double wall vacuum waterer overflows until it is empty. it is not a fast overflow, just stays full to the brim and the ground underneath is obviously wet. it sits on a solid block support and it is dead level. any ideas what else can cause it to overflow?

thanks!

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    A pinhole on the top/outer wall would do that. Sometimes the develop tiny holes near the handles.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Frustrating, isn't it. Yeah, Ranchy nailed it. If it is level, you have a tiny leak. Hopefully you can take it back.

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If you can't take it back turn the top can upside down then fill it with water and see if you can spot the leak.

5. cmitcham

cmitcham Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    thanks folks, filled with water, the outside wall piece does seep out around the seam around the top.

i thought some silicon would fix it, but i decided to give tractor supply a try. sure enough, they replaced it. no receipt, and just my word as to how old it is. it wasn't even the manager who recognizes me as a regular, but he did talk like this was a one time offer.

i'm putting it up for summer and only going to use it once the base heater is called for.

6. Benbala

Benbala New Egg

Dec 3, 2015
    Rockland, Ontario
    Good day! I just purchased this waterer from TSC and works fine except when I put it on my heater. It started leaking do to thermal expansion, the inside water can only expand to the dispenser. I will post my fix soon. Basically running a tube from outside to the lowest point of the water tank to allow expansion without breaking the vacuum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by