vain guineas stare at themselves in glass

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenannie, Feb 16, 2008.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    My 5 free-range guineas started spending about an hour every day at my front or back porch door looking into their reflections in the glass storm door, and then they preen, cackle and peck at their reflections. I thought it was kind of funny until I realized they poop there too and now I have poop every single day at my front and back door! Other than that I'm fine with them free-ranging.

Has anyone else experienced this type of guinea vanity? And if I put a mirror or piece of glass near their house could I get them to move this behavior elsewhere?
    Ideas?

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] you need to get PIC'S!!

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    My moms rooster did the same thing but worse. he would pick and kick at the mirror then go to the back to find that mysterious look a like. Then come in the back and do it again. It was so funny. I miss him [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2008
  4. Renegade

Renegade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    Guineas love to look at their reflection. They pretty much all do it. Just put a mirror out by the coop to encourage them to stay out there. My DH keeps saying he is going to put a mirror out in our back barn (a long way from the house) to get the guineas to stay away from the house. I keep reminding him he can't do that because the goats would break it.

Donna [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  5. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the info. That's really funny about guineas! They seem very happy when they gaze at their reflection on my porch -- sort of happy chirps and a few pecks at themselves, and lots of staring and turning sideways. But they are really quite clownish and odd-looking, I wonder what they're staring at -- those little flappy things on their heads maybe? I'm going to try the mirror near their henhouse. Lord knows what other roos and hens will start staring at themselves their next!

6. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Funny! [​IMG]

Yes, guineas like to look at their reflection. You can provide them a mirror that is somehow "unpoopable" by the guineas. Chickens and fowls are such silly creatures!

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  7. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Agreed. My guineas have such strange behaviors. The chickens are not that hard to figure out... the pecking order, getting at food, sunbathing etc., but those guineas are not so obvious!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by