Valbazen and oxytetracycline at same time? I guess this is becomming an emergency.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilkieNation, Sep 25, 2016.

1. SilkieNation

SilkieNation Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Two of my three silkies are very ill. Terrible diarrhea, not eating, today staying in bed. They've had a history of not eating at times with diarrhea that the vets can't figure out. They were doing great then crashed.

I've been syringe feeding for a week. Now getting much worse. I decided to try Oxytetracycline, which I started last night.

QUESTION: Can I give Valbazen at the the same time? Things are critical. I am doing everything I can.

Very clean coop and run, clean water and food always, no external parasites, no respiratory symptoms, crops are fine, eyes look fine, mouths look fine, no blood in poop, etc..

Thank you.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Pretty sure you can give both. Are they getting enough water? 25 ml to 50 ml per pound per is a good start.

-Kathy

3. SilkieNation

SilkieNation Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Rhode Island
    I am syringing 10 - 20 ml of either the 800mg oxy water or liquidy food (carnivore care - critical care food) 2-4 times a day. It's a relatively slow process and they've had enough after 20 ml! I need to get more water in them from what you say. I was wondering how much they needed. I had calculated 160ml from something I read, which seems like so much! I will aim for 100ml as they don't really love the process. They weigh about 2lbs 4oz.

I'm inclined to give the valbazen, but I just don't want to overload their systems. Of course, at this point, if I can't get things under control, I am afraid they may not do well. And, I love my little girls!

Thanks so much for responding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by