Valbazen as a first time wormer question?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by katelk, Feb 1, 2015.

1. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    My girls have had tape worm. I wormed twice (10 days apart) with Praziquantel right before Christmas. That was the first time I have ever treated for worms simply because I was unaware of the need for regular worming. I have only had chickens for a little over a year and am learning as I go.
    I have bought some Valbazen to do a thorough worming now. I know the dosage and everything, etc.
    I have just read a LOT of mixed info about using this as a first time wormer, because the worms may overload their system coming out.
    I want to make absolute sure this is going to be safe. Also, I am not 100% sure if the tapeworms were totally eradicated and was curious as to how or if Valbazen will help with that.

I would love any personal experience info with this! Thanks!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Did you actually see tapeworm segments in the poo - how sure are you that they had tapeworm?

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    One of the advantages of Valbazen is that it does NOT overload them with tosic dead bodies or clumps of dead bodies that physically clog them up. This is not true of many other wormers. It's the only one I buy -- though tapeworms are a unique situation, I realize.

4. katelk

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

One of my girls died of Lymphoid Leukosis and the necropsy said she also had tapeworms. I treated the whole flock for tapeworm because of that, but have never been able to really tell from poop if they have it or still have it.

5. katelk

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

Ok thank you that's what I thought. When you say tapeworms is a unique situation, do you mean because THAT can clog them with Valbazen, or just that Valbazen may not treat tapeworm?

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by