Valbazen Dewormer

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by N F C, Dec 28, 2014.

1. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I've been trying to find a single dewormer that will take care of any type of worms my chickens may have. From what I've been reading here, Valbazen seems to be the best answer. I have a couple of questions I need help with:

Other than online, is this available through a retail store?

How do you administer it to your chickens? Do you put it in their water or do you use a syringe (without a needle) to squirt it down their throats?

And how often do you deworm your chickens?

Any other info you can give me would be appreciated. Thank you!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Valbazen is given by mouth with a syringe 1/2 ml for most standard size chickens, then repeated in 10 days. I have found Valbazen in Southern States Co-op as well as in Rural King, but Tractor Suupply doesn't carry it in my area. I worm mine about twice a year, but in humid tropical areas such as Florida, many worm ever 2-3 months. You can always get a fecal test done on fresh droppings done by your vet to check for worms--be sure to include both regular and cecal poop.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Eggcessive, thank you for the feedback! We have several feed stores within a 45 minute drive time so I'll look around here. Special thanks for the reference to our humid FL climate and the need to deworm more frequently!

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's rare to find valbazen in feed stores and normally has to be ordered online. It would be best to call around first to save you gas. When you call, ask for "valbazen cattle/sheep wormer" or they probably wont know what you're talking about. I order mine from Jefferslivestock.com. They are out of Dothan, Alabama and they ship quick. The valbazen usually arrives in two days. It comes in a 500ml bottle and it's not cheap, but it has a 2-3 year expiration date. Here's a link:
    http://www.jefferspet.com/products/valbazen-broad-spectrum-dewormer
    if you have a small flock, you can order it in this link:
    http://www.wholesalekennel.com/index.php?main_page=product_reviews&products_id=29
    Eggcessive provided you the correct dosages. Use a syringe without a needle to administer it orally undiluted. You can have someone hold the bird, preload your syringe and pull the wattles down and squirt the liquid in the mouth, then IMMEDIATELY let go of the wattles so the bird can swallow the liquid on her own. If you dont immediately let go of the wattles, the bird can aspirate. Then repeat dosing in 10 days.
    Valbazen kills all known types of worms chickens can get, including flukes. If your birds ever get tapeworms, let me know (you'll see white rice-like segments in feces.)
    Your soil dictates how often you worm your chickens. Here in Florida and south Georgia we have warm moist/wet soil most of the year requiring frequent wormings. Additionally if birds are kept on the same soil, it's best to worm them often. I worm my birds every three months, about every two months if we get a lot of rain like we did this past year. I also rotate wormers using safeguard liquid goat wormer or liquid pyrantal pamoate. There's a 14 day withdrawal period after using any of these wormers.

1 person likes this.
  5. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Thank you dawg53. The info on getting the liquid into their mouths is helpful as I've never given our girls anything orally. I'll call around before driving as we sort of live in the middle of nowhere between Gainesville and St. Augustine. It's nice to have that 2nd link directing me to a smaller bottle if we end up ordering online. Thanks for taking the time to answer so completely!

6. glebreton

glebreton Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2013
    St. Martinville, LA
    I ordered Valbazen from Jeffers. Got it delivered to my house for $48. I did see it in my feed store also, but for $55. Gave first dose Monday and see plenty of worms in droppings, so it definitely works. I knew I had a few worms, but no idea how many of my birds were infected. Glad I did it.

Next question, seems like I read that there is a ground treatment you can put in the dirt in the run to reduce the egg load in the ground. You know anything about this? Figured after I run the valbazen, it would be a good idea to treat the ground for a followup one-two punch, but only if the ground treatment actually helps. My birds are only in the run at night, free range in daytime. But there is a good amount of dropping left in the run, so it may be good idea to treat it.

Also, I can't just throw the eggs, so I set up an incubator. Any problems with trying to hatch eggs after dosing with Valbazen?

Thanks for the help.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I don't know if there have been any studies done on that, but think it's not recommended for use pregnant mammals or breeding males. Personally, I say incubate them, but be prepared to cull any with defects.

-Kathy

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by