Valbazen not for roundworms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by seminolewind, Dec 6, 2010.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I just read that Valbazen does NOT eliminate round or cecal worms. What good is that? Rounds are the most common in chickens.

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Would this be reason that many use Wazine as a initial wormer to get the bulk of adult round worms, then a second wormer like Valbazen to get the rest. The broad spectrum wormer right off the bat can maybe set too many worms loose at once and plug the system.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Clay, I love that expression "plug the system"!

I think from all the posting about Valbazen on BYC, some people might be under the impression that Valbazen gets all worms. In truth, it doesn't get the most common worms in chickens.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Valbazen gets them all, Karen. And it won't plug them up with dead worms since it starves them out over time.

5. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    x2 even gets tapeworms...

Quote:

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:x3

7. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    OK, I just bought some of this based on recommendations and this is the first time working my flock -
    dosage - 1/4 ml for bantams, 1/2 ml for LF?
    Not to hijack the thread............[​IMG]

8. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    Valbazen is about 114 mg of albendazole per ml.

The effective dose for chickens is between 10 mg/kg and 20 mg/kg. So a 5-pound chicken should get between approximately 25 and 50 mg of the active ingredient, or between a quarter and just under a half a ml. Where you fall in that range depends on what kind of stuff you're dealing with - 10 mg/kg, or a quarter-ml per 5 pounds, seems to be very effective against roundworms and other common worms. The higher dose is a preventative for blackhead disease in turkeys and wipes out pretty much everything worm-wise.

http://japr.fass.org/cgi/content/full/16/3/392
    http://www.indianjournals.com/ijor.aspx?target=ijor:jvp&volume=19&issue=1&article=008

Since "bantam" can mean anything from a pound on up, and "large fowl" can mean anything from a little Leghorn to a JG, it's better to at least get an approximate weight before dosing.

9. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Thanks, I appreciate it

10. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Valbazen gets them all, Karen. And it won't plug them up with dead worms since it starves them out over time.

Thanks, good to know.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by