Valbazen or Ivemectin for worms? and how often to use it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by karlamaria, Dec 12, 2011.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    so I need to worm I guess, not sure if its needed but I thought now was a good time. so where do I get it, and what do I use ? I see posts for both types, whats safest thanks.( there 9 months old )

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:I've wormed my birds twice a year for a couple of years. Not until this fall did I see worms in their poop.
    The previous wormings were with SAfegaud or Eprinex ( related to the Ivemectin).

Wouldn't you know it that the first time I see worms, they are TAPEWORMS.
    Yep, that is right TAPEWORMS....

Guess which wormer treats TAPEWORMS ? ? ?
    Valbrazen!

So, if you have a choice - - - go with the Valbazen because it treats the ADDITIONAL Tapeworms!

3. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    You can order Valbrazen through either Jeffers supply OR First State Vet.

It is a full size bottle - - LARGE BOTTLE from Jeffers and a smaller bottle through First State Vet.

HOW MUCH to give...

I found this today. This guy has the dosage broken down by weight and talks about two possible ways of administering the Valbrazen.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=8053114#p8053114

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Valbazen (albendazole) kills all types of worms that chickens can get. Dosage is 1/2cc for standard size, 1/4cc for smaller birds.
    Ivermectin and eprinex dont kill tapeworms and not much effectiveness against cecal worms and gizzard worms.

5. GreenMeadows

GreenMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    i WORMED 3 WEEKS AGO WITH Valbazen and still see some worms but they are tape worm I believe. I am now hitting them with Pipperazine(sp) and hope this works. I am using 1oz to 1 gal water for 24 hours. Any suggestions whats next or when I need to worm again or with what? I see a few skinny birds.
    Quote:

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:
    Tapes are flat, segmented and can stretch. You can use a magnifying glass to see the segments. You'll need to redose your chickens with valbazen a couple of more times. Piperazine wont get rid of tapes, only large roundworms.

7. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:
    Also, you must RETREAT quicker than 3 weeks.

You treat them once. WAIT 10 DAYS and hit them again. THEN check 10 days LATER and see if they need a 3rd dosing of the wormer.

The first dose kills adults.
    The second dose kills the eggs that hatched after the first worming.

8. GreenMeadows

GreenMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    Thanks! I will get then in 2 more weeks again.
    Quote:
    Also, you must RETREAT quicker than 3 weeks.

You treat them once. WAIT 10 DAYS and hit them again. THEN check 10 days LATER and see if they need a 3rd dosing of the wormer.

The first dose kills adults.
    The second dose kills the eggs that hatched after the first worming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by