Valbazen or Ivomec for worms and Scaly leg Mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FarmGirl9494, Nov 28, 2013.

1. FarmGirl9494

FarmGirl9494 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2013
    Hello, I am looking to worm my ducks chickens and geese! reading up on the different kinds I came to a conclusion to go for Valbazen or Ivomec/Ivermectin. I would like to use Valbazen because it is a bit milder, but I have a mille fleur rooster that has an extreme case of scaly leg mites and he can hardly walk. the suckers have to go!!!!! I have read ivermectin/ivomec will kill scaly leg mites, I want to know if Valbazen will too!
    I want to worm for all kinds of worms too! So if ivermectin/ivomec is the way to go and does the most then I will use it! But if Valbazen covers the scaly leg mites and all worms then I will stay with Valbazen!!

If anybody knows if Valbazen will work please inform me! And if anybody has any experience with these please do comment and tell me how it worked or didn't work! I need to worm all my chickens, ducks and geese, especially my Mille Fleur.
    For now I am soaking, scrubbing and oiling/Vaseline coating my poor little roosters legs!

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Valbazen will not help with the scaly leg mites, but IMO it is the best wormer. The only other one dawg53 recommends is fenbendazole (Safeguard.) Ivomec is no longer considered particularly effective as a wormer. I has become largely ineffective. It will help with the leg mites, but so will coating the legs. Once you have scrubbed them as you have done, you can switch to Pam for convenience, or whatever is easy for you to apply.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X3

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by