Valbazen Safe For First a Time Worming?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cel45, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Good evening all. I have seen it both ways. What is the truth? Is valbazen safe for chickens that have never been wormed before? I have not seen worms in their poop and I keep their coop spotless, but my two oldest girls are looking thin. They are all standard sized hens. They free range all day. Thanks!

2. theuglychick

theuglychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2016
    Louisiana

I've seen it listed both ways as well.

My take is that it was once recommended to deworm with a less complete dewormer, such as wazine, that kills less species of worms before deworming with Valbazen To get rid of some of the worm load so the Valbazen wouldn't kill everything all at once and cause the chicken to die from trying to pass a heavy worm load all at once.

However, now it seems that the Valbazen is recommended for first deworming because it is a slow kill, unlike the wazine which kills faster and could still cause heavy worm expulsion loads. This also prevents two consecutive egg withdrawal periods.

I'm about to deworm my pullets and cockerals with it for the first time next week. I added some older pullets to my flock and have noticed tapeworm segments in their poop [​IMG] I regularly mix DE into their feed, so I'm thinking I'm seeing them because the DE is damaging the worms. Still, it's disgusting and I want them dead so I want something stronger. This week I am "prepping" them with rooster booster multi wormer, but next week I will deworm with the Valbazen. I'll let you know how it goes.

3. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Thanks, the tape worm segments you are seeing is normal. that is how the tapeworm reproduces. each segment has eggs which get on the grass etc. and are comsumed by the chicken, completing the life cycle.

4. theuglychick

theuglychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2016
    Louisiana
    Bleh!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by