Valbazen vs. Safeguard

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TalkALittle, Mar 19, 2015.

1. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    So which is the better wormer to use for an initial wormer--valbazen or safeguard? The birds are 1 year old and have never been wormed. My initial thought was to run a fecal float to determine if and what worms were present, but I've noticed a number of watery, white "squirt" poops and have seen what I believe is roundworms in one bird's feces so I have just decided to administer a broad spectrum wormer. My plan is to worm 2x a year in spring and fall. I was thinking to use the safeguard in the spring (because of the effect it can have on feather regrowth after molt) and use the valbazen in the fall. But if one is better to use as an initial wormer I will use that now. Any recommendations?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Valbazen is best as the first wormer. It slowly kills worms over several days preventing worm blockage.

3. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Thanks. I had thought that Safeguard gave a slow kill too. Didn't realize it didn't. Valbazen it will be then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by