Valbazen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jklyles1, Aug 23, 2013.

1. jklyles1

jklyles1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    I just bought a $60 bottle of Valbazen and will only use 16 mls before it expires in 2015. What can I do with the rest of it? Anyone out there need any? Put a serious dent in my chicken bank account[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    My Southern States only charges $40 for it. You can figure out how much you will need over the next couple of years if you worm them on a schedule. Are you remembering the second dose they need 10 days after the first worming? Personally, I would hold on to it until shortly before the expiration date--then I would give it away. You may have more chicks or someone else you know may get chicks.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Remember that the most effective dose is 20mg per 2.2 pounds (~.2ml per 2.2 pounds). I suggest you calculate the dose based on weight... I bet you'll use more than you 16ml.

Rhode Island Red hen would get .6ml
    Orpington hen would get .72ml - .96ml

-Kathy

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  4. jklyles1

jklyles1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    ok folks...i wormed the girls yesterday morning and this morning i found poop with LIVE worms!!! Shouldnt they be dead????

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    They'll die. Worms cannot survive outside the host for long. Sounds like you mightve had an infestation, I'm glad you used valbazen.

6. CatWhisperer

CatWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2013
    northwest Arkansas
    expiration dates. Its unlikely your dewormer will just stop being effective the day after its expiration date. As time goes it may become less effective. FDA requires expiration dates. The Valbazen will probably be good for several year after its exp. date.

7. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I've forgotten to check dates upon purchasing things in the past and it is annoying to find out what you just bought is ready to expire. I, and many others have successfully used Albendazole (Valbazen) oral dosage 1/2 cc for standard breeds and 1/4 cc for bantams many times. Safe-Guard oral suspension for goats(Fenbendazole), at the same dosage, works great too if tapeworms aren't a concern.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by