Valentine's Day Hatch struggling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MitchellB, Feb 17, 2011.

1. MitchellB

MitchellB New Egg

Jul 9, 2010
    Greensboro
    I had/have 8 eggs that were due on Valentine's Day. First one hatched by himself the morning of the 15th. Second one hatched about 8 hours later with a little help. The third one that pipped yesterday has just been hatched this morning after a lot of help from me and he is still looking kinda wet, weak and helpless. Two were not fertilized and were discarded. I have three more eggs in my homemade incubator that I'm hoping will pip soon before I have to try to intervene. I know many believe that I should not interfer with the hatch, but I'm thinking I should open the other three by tomorrow if they haven't done anything. Any suggestions? These are my first attempts to hatch. Last spring we got our first 5 chicks that we raised, so we are pretty new at this.

2. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    These experts on here can help u,i had tthe same problem,i found out when u wait too long after pip,dead chick.I had temp problems and hum problems,and a junk inc.My chicks were over due too boot.You will get good help here,my heart is withu.

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Don't know the answer but sending good hatching vibes. [​IMG] Oh [​IMG] from GA

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by