Valentine's Day Hatch!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Egg_newton, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Egg_newton

Egg_newton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    We would like to have two dozen eggs for my maiden hatch. I have RIR, white rock, EE, and orp hens with a blue orp roo. I would really love for my new silkie hen to lay an egg or two to throw in there too but we will just have to wait and see about that one. We were given a Little Giant bator with egg turner a couple months ago and put in an old pc fan. It's been plugged in for about three days tweaking temp and humidity to get everything just right before setting the eggs. Last time I checked we were 99.8 degrees inside my fake egg (hollowed egg refilled with hair gell and sealed with hot glue) and 42% humidity. We plan on setting this Sunday the 24th making February 14th hatch day. Hadn't really planned it to be a Valentine's Day hatch. We started collecting eggs last Sunday, figured it would take that long to get 2 dozen. But, that doesn't make it any less AWESOME! Anyone else want to join me? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  2. Orphy

Orphy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    That is so awesome! little valentine chickie-doo's!

3. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:asking permission to join on the account of one exception, i will be setting ether late tomorrow night for first thing the morning after. So that would put me at just a few day's shy of V-day. Didn't think it was worth it to make my own thread when this one just popped up. I am setting one Doz. Split Light Sussex/Coronation sussex eggs along with the chance of hatching out pure coronation sussex within the same Dozen.

4. Egg_newton

Egg_newton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    Ahh what the heck is a few days difference? Hopefully, if my girls put out some extra effort I can set before Sunday too.

5. CajunChick

CajunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    I'll be setting a dozen in the morning [​IMG] Best of luck to you!

6. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    asylum11 here, just had my name changed so i thought i would drop in and let everyone know lol. This thread will be kept at the top instead of on page two if i have anything to do about it! [​IMG] Just got my egg's in the mail, they are on their 12 hour rest mode and then they will be set at midnight tonight. I spent ALOT of cash on these babies so im very excited to start this incubation, especially since it will be in my new 1588 Genesis GQF bator [​IMG]

7. CajunChick

CajunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Since this is my first hatch, I tried to spend as little as possible on my "mutts." I went to the local feed store and got a dozen for $2. I also have 5 from my girls. After candling and removing the questionable eggs I'm down to 11. I'll start small and see what happens. So excited about this..nervous too! I have a homemade bator so my fingers are crossed! [​IMG]

8. hunt4meat

hunt4meat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    NLR, AR
    This will be my 1st incubator experiacne also.

I am collecting eggs as we speak, I hope to have an even dozen by Sunday afternoon. I will place them int he bator on Monday... probably. They will be out of my mutts ( RIR X sneaky yard bird hens, and SLW x sneaky yard bird roo).

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I already have some in the incubator ... BUT, I should have 2 boxes of eggs in the mail in the morning! Can I join in?

10. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    count me in. thats if my eggs ever get here. i have a dozzen coming from bycer pidgey104 ee"s. and i picked up 12 eggs today that are a special mix that fellow bycer came up with. now if the darn postal service will get my other eggs here i be ready for the 14th.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by