1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Valuable Silkie

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Cracker, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Cracker

Cracker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    North-West Florida
    The silkie roo that we recently got from BamaChicken is now worth even more than when we picked him up. Last night he ate one of DW diamond earrings![​IMG] Anyone have any idea how long before it shows up?

2. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    [​IMG] Ha Ha hee hee. Hope it doesn't get stuck in the gizzard. You may have to sacrafice him and do autopsy.

3. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    ok I may sound stupid here but at that risk...I will say that I think it might not pass. It MAY stay in the system since it can't be processed by the gizzard? I don't know..like I said I could be wrong!

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Hmmm....does homeowners cover that?

I can hear the conversation....my wife is missing an earring

Ins: "so, did she drop it down a sink or something?"

You: "well....my rooster ate it"

Ins: "have you checked the poop?"

You "I think it's stuck in the gizzard. Won't come through....how do I file my claim??"

LOL

5. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I lost a gold stud that way once. It's never been recovered. I think I ended up selling the hen that ate it. [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If it doesn't get stuck in the gizzard, it would take about a day or so to pass. I am thinking it will do a turn in the gizzard though. I would keep him on newspaper and collect poo's for the next two days in a container, fill it with water and see if you can't find the diamond in the bottom of the container. Soft foods and some olive oil wouldn't hurt to give to help pass it!

Good luck!

7. Cracker

Cracker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    North-West Florida
    Wife imformed me this morning that I'm on poop patrol.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Being on poop patrol just might be better than having to buy her a new set!

9. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    Sorry to hear about your loss.. LOL Boy they sure love those shiny things!!!!!! I hope poo patrol wont be to bad. Jenn

10. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    I agree, it will most likely do gizzard duty, which is probably exactly what the intention of the bird was when it ate it. What I dont know is how grit is moved out of the gizzard, does it just happen, or is is a voluntary action. If its voluntary then that rock could end up on gizzard duty for a long time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by