Value of a heavy laying Auracana hen?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by baddawg, Apr 2, 2009.

1. baddawg

baddawg New Egg

Apr 2, 2009
    San Diego
    Hey there,

The Neighbor's dog jumped the fence today and killed my two Auracanas that were beautiful and heavy layers. She is offering money for damages but I have no idea what would be a fair price. Anybody have any guidelines i can use? They were less than 2 years old, hand raised and green egg layers. And I would get 5 eggs a week out of them. Plus they atre family members...

I am so bummed by the carnage in the backyard...[​IMG]

2. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    Sorry to hear about your hens. I guess if it were me - It would depend on if she has otherwise been a good neighbor or if she usually keeps up with her dog and it was just a freak occurence. I think at least 10-15 dollars per hen is a fair price if she is nice - If she's not - maybe 50 dollars per hen!! When you lose something you have raised and cared for money just don't do the trick- I guess it would depend on your relationship with this lady- At least she's offering to pay- Some people won't even do that. Sorry again about your hens!!

3. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I am sorry for your loss.

Well, you can't put a price on family members. If it was me, I wouldn't take money from her, just the apology and forgive and forget. Those things happen. However, if she is insisting, I guess you need a number. If she was to go out and buy you new hen, she probably would spend $10 to $15 around here for a green egger. Don't gouge her if you want to stay on friendly terms.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Guess it depends on where you are and the total damages done such as fencing and so on. In some area's the market for a laying hen is 15-25, while in others, you'd be hard pressed to get even $10 for an exceptional layer. You'll have to judge based on local market, and as the previous posters, the relationship you have with your neighbor. If it was a every few months thing, full price and then some. If it was a one time thing and your neighbor is the type to help out when something comes up, perhaps an apology is enough.

5. baddawg

baddawg New Egg

Apr 2, 2009
    San Diego
    Yeah... It's a real shame. She is a new neighbor and we have been having a problem with the dog jumping the 6 foot fence for a week.

Its good she is being forthright with me. I don't want to screw her but it's a real loss.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If it were me, I'd say the apology was enough, sounds like a nice neighbor if she is going far enough to offer funds. 5 eggs a week for two hens isn't a heavy layer in some folks yards. For green layers around here you'd probably get $15 to $20 a hen depending upon age.

7. cwc362

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    Quote:If she seems really remorseful and is trying to fix the problem- Maybe it was just one of those things- Still doesn't make you feel any better about your hens, but easier to forgive and keep a good relationship with her.

8. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Does this mean it could happen with new future hens? Maybe ask her to invest in some electric fencing for your shared fence to prevent it from happening, instead of replacing the value of the hens?

9. cwc362

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    Quote:Does this mean it could happen with new future hens? Maybe ask her to invest in some electric fencing for your shared fence to prevent it from happening, instead of replacing the value of the hens?

Hey that sound like a great idea!!

10. baddawg

baddawg New Egg

Apr 2, 2009
    San Diego
    Yup, It could happen again. I locked up the survivors in the coop today and tonight am adding 3 feet of hardware cloth to the 40' of fencing we share.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by