Value of birds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by tracylhl01, Jan 3, 2011.

1. tracylhl01

tracylhl01 New Egg

Mar 26, 2010
    Myakka City, Florida
    I'm not sure where to put this. My son is showing chickens in our upcoming county fair. The record book he's keeping asks for value of the birds. Since we did not buy them at the start of the project we need to figure out their value at Sept. 1 and then now. He is showing 2 RIR hens and one rooster. The RIR's were bought at a few weeks old and are now 1 1/2 yrs. old and the roo was given to us at about 4 or 5 months old and is now just over a year. How would I find monetary values on them?

2. stoneunhenged

stoneunhenged Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    USA
    $5 each

3. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Are they show quality? If so, the chick price will be around 5$ and the adult price 15$. The roo will be slightly less, around 10$ adult price.

4. tracylhl01

tracylhl01 New Egg

Mar 26, 2010
    Myakka City, Florida
    Thank you!

Now the record book says that they should have a greater value at the end of the year then at the beginning. I'm not sure why that would be true considering that these birds are going to be 2 yrs. old by the end of the project year. Am I missing something? Wouldn't they lose value at that point because they would start slowing down on egg production soon?

5. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Quote:That would be for horses and trained animals, it's going to go down at some point even with horses.

6. tracylhl01

tracylhl01 New Egg

Mar 26, 2010
    Myakka City, Florida
    Right. Okay, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by