Value of Call Ducks - can anyone help....?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SoCalChick, Nov 8, 2011.

1. SoCalChick

SoCalChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Valley Center, CA
    Wondering if anyone can help me please. I had 9 beautiful true Call ducks - various colors. Yesterday two loose dogs attacked them and killed 7 of them . [​IMG] The owner of dogs is offering to reimburse me for my ducks. Of course to me they were priceless - but I dont know what value to price them at. Im in southern CA - and cant find adult ones anywhere - and I hatched the ducks myself from eggs I bought on the eastcoast.

2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I don't have any call ducks myself, but I can tell you what they go for around here (I am located right on the east coast in Maine).
    I've seen pet quality calls go for $20 per hen, $15 per drake.
    Show quality ones usually sell around here for $25-30 each.

So sorry to hear about your loss [​IMG]

3. SoCalChick

Apr 13, 2009
    Valley Center, CA
    thank you:)

4. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    just check arounf featherauction.com to see what they could go for...sometimes a graet pair is upwards to 350$!!!!! it all depends...well i could tell you if you posted pics of your calls you lost, probably 40$ each i say is fair! nevermind the shipping cost if you were to order more. So the bill isnt going to be cheap if i was the owner if these ducks.

5. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    Alabama
    How devastating.. Sorry.. I would say atleast $40 each, is fair for pet quality. Again, sorry.

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I am purchasing a pair of SQ Silver Appleyard Calls and am paying 100$ for the pair. I'm glad the owner is doing the right thing. I had a similar thing happen to me to which it killed my FBCM hen that I was using for breeding, The owners left with their dogs and came back 15 mins. later apologizing for what their dogs had done. I told the dog owner that the other chickens they killed I wasn't worried about but the Marans cost me 60$ for the eggs she came from and she was the only one that hatched, the owner handed me 60$ and thank us for not shooting their 5000$ dogs as he saw my husband had his sidearm with him. I won't have shot their dogs unless, they would have tried to bite us. We knew they were hunting dogs and belonged to someone, they had 3 collars on. Don't be afraid to ask what you think they are worth to replace. Do the same price for all of them. I'm sorry this happened to you. [​IMG]
    Michele

7. jbourget

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    what colors were they??? and males females how many of each? this helps when assesing their value

8. SoCalChick

Apr 13, 2009
    Valley Center, CA
    I lost 2 Snow whites, 2 Magpies, 2 Silver Apricots, and 1 Mallard [​IMG] I was thinking of asking $40 -$45 per duck - does that sound unreasonable. [​IMG]

9. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Not one bit! Im sorry for your loss! [​IMG] I lost three ducks in the past five months! I first lost my indian runner hen duckling to my moms dog, then lost my cayuga drake to the same dog, and then I just lost my rouen hen l, she just went missing and never came back, it was horrible! Sorry again!

10. jbourget

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Quote:315$ seems right, for 7 ducks. i have 11 comming tomorro actually and i paid 385$ all said and done with shipping too.

let us know what they say...and if they say no way then tell them to research their prices. or read this thread!!!!

(perhaps print it out) to show them your not full of it?? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by