1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Value of Campbell ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jaycee, Jan 30, 2013.

1. jaycee

jaycee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Hello folks I have 7 Khaki Campbell ducks from Metzer farms in California. The seven of them average 5 or 6 eggs a day for me. They will be 2 years old this coming June. Unfortunately I am limited on space and time and the chickens are much less labor intensive and they free range whereas without a pond I have to dedicate a pen and stall in the barn to these ducks. So I am wanting to sell them but I have no idea what they are worth. I have searched clist and not found any egg laying ducks for sale in my area. I live in southern Illinois near St.Louis MO. Can anyone tell me how I should price good egg layers in their prime? I dont want to give them away just get a fair price.

Thanks any suggestions are appreciated.

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Khaki's free range just fine without a pond and only need a kiddie pool. Ours travel the entire fenced space they are in all day long and have 2 kiddie pools to pass the time in.

2 year old hatchery females who are laying well, you should expect to get $10-$15/each for them easily.

Our 1 year olds and 2 year olds sell for 20-25/each, but are also not hatchery stock.

Check the surrounding areas for CL duck ads too for pricing

3. jaycee

Aug 5, 2011
    Thanks the problem is that my pasture fences are just field fence with 6 inch holes the ducks go right through (I have no idea why but the chickens do not, they stay in my pasture all day). Last year one of the ducks went through and was eaten by a neighbors dog. The chickens also all go in their coop of their own volition each night to roost while the ducks will only go in the barn to get fed otherwise they would rather be out under the stars even in a snowstorm it seems. I do have 2 kiddie pools for them to play in.

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    we use the field fencing that is 2x4 opening, and have trained ours to goto their house at night. Takes a week to ten days of routine to get them use to lock up. Good luck on listing them, remember you can alweys price higher and come down

5. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I live in southern Illinois and have Cambell's also. I am interested in yours. On craigslist southern illinois ducks go for between $5 and $10 a piece. They are about the same price as ducklings. I live near Carbondale. Where are you at?

6. jaycee

Aug 5, 2011
    Hi ducksinarow. I am going to try to get a bit more than that since they are currently laying and ducklings from the hatchery would take 6 mos to get to that point. I know theres a local small animal auction where Ive been told I can get over $10. I listed them on craigslist in STL for $100 for all 7 ducks. Here is the ad in case you are still interested: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/3584067664.html

I am just outside Alton btw its a good 2 hours from Carbondale.

Thanks

7. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    You will probably do better in the St Louis area. Southern Illinois is impoverished. I know where Alton is, we go to the water park there. It is a long drive from my house. If we go that far we spent the night. I don't think most hotels allow ducks. LOL

8. sikes0368

sikes0368 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2012
    blackshear ga
    You are better off selling them for less to a happy home vs selling them at a livestock sale where they will end up on someone's plate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by