Value of Layers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MixedFowl, Nov 25, 2014.

1. MixedFowl

MixedFowl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    I am in FFA and am filling out an award application in which you need to put the value of your animals. So I need help finding a realistic price of a layer because I have 6 one year olds and 3 just starting. Help

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Depends on the breed, I think. I did look at the Meyer Hatchery prices for you though, and started pullets cost $8.65 each for the Astrolorps and also the Golden Buffs.

You could check other hatcheries online and get more prices if you like.

Hope this helps,
    Sharon

3. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I would definitely check some hatchery sites or even browse sites like craigslist. I see most started pullets around 8-10 dollars, chicks from around 2-5 dollars, and hens for anywhere from 5-20 dollars. What breeds are you looking to place the value on?

The prices I'm talking about are just your regular, run of the mill, layers. If you have a fancier breed or some credits behind your birds I'd up it from there.

4. MixedFowl

Feb 3, 2014
    Thank You!!!!

5. MixedFowl

Feb 3, 2014
    I have Brahmas and red leghorns and a dorking.

6. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    $15 is the value that the Commonwealth of Virginia places on them (It's the amount designated for repayment by the owner of a dog that kills a chicken).

I'd be careful about using the cost of a "started pullet" on the online hatcheries - they're often not that close to laying - also, don't forget to add in shipping.

7. MixedFowl

Feb 3, 2014
    That's what I'll use

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I have Buff Brahmas. I just love them.

9. naillikwj82

naillikwj82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    I suspect the realistic value for the FFA Application would need to include not just the cost of a chick and feed for several months. You have mentioned that 6 of the birds are one year old. Therefore you would need to reflect feed cost for that year as initial investment value. Though as a farmer you must also calculate the "potential real value" contribution to your operation. If your birds average 180 eggs each per year? What is the market cost for farm stand eggs? That is added value. Or as potential loss of income value should a bird be killed. Continue to ask and research all avenues, that is what the FFA is for. Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by