Value of my hens...

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by thunderkitty, Jan 10, 2008.

1. thunderkitty

thunderkitty Out Of The Brooder

So, I've got 36 birds 35 are hens 1 is a roo. I've been busy with school and everything else and it it doesn't seem fair to the birds so I've decided to part with them. The question is how much to charge. They are a year old in April/May, varying breeds one is a Golden Campine and another is a Phoenix (both hens) the rest are everything from white leghorn to barred rock. What would you charge to sell the flock? This is what I'm trying to decide... maybe $10 a piece? I mean their in their prime, so they should go for a good price right? [​IMG] Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have several interested parties, but I need to name a price...Thanks ahead of time.[​IMG]

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, around here people are getting 8 to 10 for most that age ! Good Luck.wish I was closer [​IMG]

3. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Good laying hens are well worth $10 each in my area. Some smaller breeds might bring less. Roosters tend to run much cheaper.

4. thunderkitty

So for all my birds do you think $350 would be a good price or more/less?

5. AprilAWZ

AprilAWZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2007
    northeastern MN
    I grew up in Dickinson ...aka the Banana Belt...lol! My parents still live there, and DH and I lived in Bismark for a few years.

Normally, I would agree that $10/ea. would be a fair price. However, I know how stingy those folks can be...ugh, in Dickinson, they'd expect you to throw in a free bag of feed for doing you the favor of taking them off your hands! [​IMG] Nice folks, but they will definitely try to shave every penny they can!

But regardless, I'd say go for it, but expect a lot of grumbling. If you can, try to advertise them in the Fargo area, you might have more luck and less dickering out east.

6. thunderkitty

thanks AprilAWZ I'm going to try for $10, if I have to split them up because no one will pay that much for that many, so be it. I refuse to be completely ripped off after spending so much money for their barn, feed, and care. I agree about people being stingy around here, but they'll never admit they are! [​IMG] It drives me insane. When I was trying to sell eggs I only found one person who would pay more than $2.00 DZ I mean come on..[​IMG]

7. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Where I am in Virginia it's normal to see laying pullets and year old layers for $5 to $6.50 each. My local feed store sells their layers for $6.50, which are left overs from the hatchery order they get in the Spring and didn't sell.

8. AprilAWZ

AprilAWZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2007
    northeastern MN
    ...Or...

You could offer them at $12.50 per hen individually, and $10/ea. if they buy 10 or more. Let them think there is a way to get a bargain, and you might get somewhere.

It's really too bad that so many folks in that area don't have a sense of value for money spent, it's all about the illusion of a bargain. They'd sooner buy a widget priced at $75 , but only worth $50, than a better quality widget priced at $100, but actually worth $150.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by