Vanilla Attacked - Coturnix

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Buttercup Chillin, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I went out to weigh the 6 week quail and not going to happen today. Vanilla was a bloody mess. So he is inside and resting right now. I cleaned him off a bit, but he really won't have much to do with being touched. Will try again a little later and at least get some neosporin on his head.

They went for his head and eye. I can see his eye now and its there. He was the only White in that cage and am sure that is the why of it.
    There is a Range and a Brown with a white belly in that grow out pen too. So my question is this.

Should I take them and bring them in the house and house them in a tub for a few days while he rests? They were to be his mates as they are different also. I am afraid they will be attacked next. Geesh they are just 6 weeks old.

I raise my Coturnix for meat and eggs, so normally this is not an issue, but these birds are from a special hatch for my GD&me, more like pets. Outdoor pets Mrs. Fluffy.

Ah he is moving around and leaning to drink from a water bottle and preening. Good indications.

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

pooooor vanilla...

3. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Poor thing! I would probably pull the ones that you want to keep with them and keep them close to each other. Otherwise, they may "forget" each other and you may have integration problems. If you could house them with a wire divider between them (to keep them from hurting him while he heals) then they will see/hear each other while he heals.

4. Buttercup Chillin

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Quote:I don't have that kind of set up. Its tubs or a very small cage(that he is in) in the house. My outside cages are verticle, stacked. He should be OK in a few days and then they can all go together into a new cage. Depending on his eye.

I just don't want the others to get picked on too. Maybe I should bring in a tub for a few days, just in case. This is the hatch with my eggs and that means: Big Bad Bertha probably has a daughter out there. If this keeps up I will have to invite her to lunch, soon. This batch is maturing faster than before? They have been calling and laying eggs for a week and are only a few days over 6 weeks. But this behavior was still unexpected at this time from the Jumbo Browns. I'll have to watch for another mean mama.

5. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:I don't have that kind of set up. Its tubs or a very small cage(that he is in) in the house. My outside cages are verticle, stacked. He should be OK in a few days and then they can all go together into a new cage. Depending on his eye.

I just don't want the others to get picked on too. Maybe I should bring in a tub for a few days, just in case. This is the hatch with my eggs and that means: Big Bad Bertha probably has a daughter out there. If this keeps up I will have to invite her to lunch, soon. This batch is maturing faster than before? They have been calling and laying eggs for a week and are only a few days over 6 weeks. But this behavior was still unexpected at this time from the Jumbo Browns. I'll have to watch for another mean mama.

I understand! I'm always picking up wire crates and cages at yard sales & the like. I have a strange assortment of things stashed away. I just bought a wire dog kennel (missing its plastic tray) and two bird cages today - one is big. Got them all for $15. A bit of rust, but nothing bad. I have another smaller wire cage with a metal tray collapsed underneath one of my indoor coops. We haven't even gotten to the tiny cage that is right for separating a baby if need be.

I hunt for them for $3-5. [​IMG] I have one at my old place that is massive -- big enough for a German Shepherd. I've got to get it here sometime but that's going to be fun without a truck.

6. Buttercup Chillin

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Oh, forget it. Shelleyd that Tibetan is a male. I caught the little sneak, calling, then HE went right over and did HIS thing. Just like that HE had me completely fooled for 6 weeks. Disgusting, I tell you just disgusting, I so wanted it to be a girl. [​IMG]

So who gets to pair up with Vanilla? [​IMG]
    Who do I put that little sneak Cocoa with? [​IMG]

I am pretty sure the other odd one is a girl but with my luck who knows?
    Time for some Wine and a chair infront of that Pen. That's for sure. And all I hear from dawn till dark today is calling coming from that pen. Geesh.
    Well, I know I have at least six in there. Cause the boys definately do not lay eggs. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  7. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:The reality is coturnix and other quail species are very cruel (in human terms) to each other.

So I never treat them as pets or get attached to them in any way.

I chop their heads off when the time comes

cause they are delicious eating

and......

8. Buttercup Chillin

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I know, I have a few bagged up in the freezer, like 75 or so and Coturnix is on the menu twice a week here. But GD likes the White ones, so I was hoping to keep him. But I also have about 25 more Whites out in the Brooder that are 3 weeks now along with Browns and Golds.

But Vanilla still gets to have a chance, just because he is Vanilla. No, normally that doesn't happen here after 3 weeks even.

But I think I will separate the Whites from the J. Browns and the J M. Golds at 4 weeks though, this time around. Weather is weird. Its like spring today and all the cages are in a mating frenzie. Indian Summer, I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by