vanilla fly controll

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by delfargo, Aug 4, 2010.

1. delfargo

delfargo Chillin' With My Peeps

i can't find the topic i posted last week, so i'm just starting fresh.
    to make a long story short, i asked about alternatives to those sticky fly strips cuz one of my red stars flew into one and got all gooed-up. someone suggested i try to use those vanilla scented "pine tree" car air fresheners.
    well...i'm here to tell you THEY WORK !!!
    i put 3 up in the coop (2 in the bunk house and 1 in the other room of my 2 room coop) over the weekend and have noticed a DRAMATIC decline in the fly population. i've actually seen flys fly in, take a whiff, and fly right back out. they do kinda stink at first, but the chickens don't seem to mind, and the flys HATE IT.
    i was a bit sceptical, but now that i've tried it, i'm gonna go buy a case of those things. last night when i "tucked them in", there was not a single fly in the bunk house. amazing !!!
    so, to whoever suggested that : THANX ALOT for the advice. and i encourage y'all to try 'em.
    i love it when a plan comes together !

2. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
  3. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    it does really work great [​IMG]

4. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    Any my coop smells a WHOLE lot better than it used to. [​IMG]

5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    TSC has a three pack for like $3

6. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    I gave it a try, and what do you know! I sure don't have very many flies! And, boy, it sure smells good in there! Who woulda thunk?? [​IMG]

7. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    I wonder.... I've been wanting to try it. But we live on a cattle farm, with about 70-80 head. I don't know if it'd work as well for me, though the chicken coop area is a whole 600yds from the cows area [​IMG] Guess I'll give it a shot and see what happens!

8. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:You could tie one to every other cow's tail and they'll sweeten the whole area for you!

1 person likes this.
  9. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It didn't work for me, but the coop smells a heck of a lot better!

I even tried fly predators this year and have just as many flies as last year. I have the vanilla up, fly strips, fly predators and fly bags too......

10. JustOneMore

JustOneMore Chillin' With My Peeps

I saw that earlier post and decided to try it. We have horrible deer fly issues here. My partner has regularly been mowing on the tractor and come in with arms twice their normal size due to bite reactions!

After reading the initial thread I hit WalMart and got some of the car type vanilla air fresheners AND some vanilla renuzit adjustable air fresheners.

Sam immediately attached one of the hanging car ones to the tractor and went out to mow. For the first time this year it was bite-free mowing! [​IMG]

Convinced that there was validity to the repelling properties of the vanilla we took a renuzit to the pool in the late afternoon ... at a time that we would normally abandon ship due to deer flies and horse flies. For the first time in 10 years we enjoyed bug-free afternoon pool time. [​IMG]

We are SOLD on how well the vanilla scent works and have been sharing this new discovery with friends. I now have renuzits near the doors that we open to let cool evening air in.

Oh, the chickens do NOT have an air freshener though. They have done such a good job of bug control in the back yard, we haven't needed to put any repellants back there! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by