Vanished eggs!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Heather08, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Heather08

Heather08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Florida
    OK so I will back up, small banty hen went broody on me awile ago, I kept takin all the eggs from her then gave in and let her sit on 4 of the green EE eggs and jsut collected the daily eggs that all the other hens kpt putting in her nest [​IMG]... My girls all climb all over each other and insist on using the same box all the time...so fast forward, about a week ago 2 of the eggs vanished! I am ASSUMING that they hatched and the canabils ate them???? *GASP* ..so for the last 2 eggs , i created a fort knox around this hen and her nest and her own food and water and in the last 3 days both the eggs hatched a couple of fuzzy yellow peepers... my question is , did the other hens eat the first 2 hatches? WIll they do that? She is really the bottom of the "pecking order" heehee.. so the big girls might eat these babies if I let them loose in the coop? I should keep them in their safe zone? For how long?

These eggs Im pretty sure are a cross of our EE and Gold comet Roo, I was hopin for one that would be another green egger, funny thing is one of the chicks has a little black dot on the back of her head like the Banty hen that hatched it but is not the mom, It is possible that these chicks are from SPark Plug(banty roo), but Id be suprised. He looked like a baby EE when he was small but Old english bantam. ANyhow , words of wisdom would be appreaciated!

Honestly too Im suprised that these eggs survived with all the climbers inthe box and us digging in there often getting the brown eggs out and I had to keep getting the ones out she was sittin on and marking them with a crayon( all I had LOL)

Banty( we call her golden dove) is a great mommy! She is sooo chatty to the babies.

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I'm not much help here... Its seems like everyone wants IN the box she has...so I don't know if you want to move her and the babies out to a safer place. I think its for you to decide honestly.

I hope someone can come by and answer you better.

By the way WELCOME! [​IMG]

3. Heather08

Heather08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Florida
    Oh she is safe and alone now, once the other 2 eggs vanished I was on higher alert and I picked up the 2 others she was sitting on one day and heard the eggs pipping so we enclosed her in her box and made her own private run inside the coop, she actually came out of the box this am with the babys to check out her new digs and seems to be comfortable in there. They are trying to get brave and wander out from under her, but she scolds them and makes them get back under her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by