1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vanishing chicken

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bluedawg, Oct 18, 2009.

1. bluedawg

bluedawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    I have a chicken coup within a fenced in yard where ny dog is free to roam. I let the chickens out for only the second time ever this afternoon and heard a commotion and one chicken is gone. Just like that. I can't imagine a coyote could have gotten in and out that fast I mean I was right in the kitchen ten feet from them when this happened. I would have seen him running away with her. The only thing I can think of is a Hawk but I thought they could not carry a chicken away, that they would kill it on the ground. This was not the case either - she just disapeared in an instant. could she be hiding somewhere? It's getting dark and the others are stunned and looking for her.

2. Sharoane

Sharoane Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2009
    All I know is we have some mighty big birds of prey in my part of the country, certainly big enough to carry off a chicken.

Hope you find her.

3. bluedawg

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    Thanks! as far as I know we really only have Hawks around here this time of year in NY, but I unfortunately am no expert if someone else knows different do tell.

4. bluedawg

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    I Found her!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I heard her funny froggy voice and wend outside and she was walking around the neighbors house trying to find her way back home. When she saw me she came running, so now all are safe and tucked in for the night. Something scared them and they scattered. Lesson learned, next time I may not be so lucky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by