variances in hatch temps and after hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by seabreeze, Feb 7, 2011.

1. seabreeze

seabreeze Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Scio, OR
    It seems that there is some variance for incubator temp as well as temp for hatchlings once they are out of shell/in brooder. Is there a reason for this? Are hatching eggs and baby chicks tolerant of 1-3 degrees variation?

Thanks!

2. seabreeze

Aug 21, 2010
    Scio, OR
    Forgot to ask....are chicks more tolerant once out of shell, to temp variations of 1-2 degrees? what is the best temp for new chicks in the brooder? thanks!

3. rickerra

rickerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Yes, chicks are tolerant of the temps once they hatch and 1-3 degrees won't hurt anything. They are running on their own metabolism and can handle mild temperature changes. Some move newly hatched and fluffed chicks right into the brooder where there is a 90-95 degree temperature without any worries. Although most wait until all have hatched (good idea) and give them a day to dry out/fluff in the incubator/hatcher.

Best starting temp in the broader is 95 degrees for the first week, 90 degrees the second week, 85 the third, 80 the forth... then should be getting in their feathers and good to go.

Cheers!

4. seabreeze

Aug 21, 2010
    Scio, OR
    Thanks!! [​IMG]

5. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

90°F first week, dropping 5°F each subsequent week.

6. seabreeze

Aug 21, 2010
    Scio, OR
    So between 95 and 90 the first week? That variation is ok?

7. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

X 2 [​IMG]
    but be sure it is 90-95 under the heat lamp and cooler in the rest of your brooder. I hatched chicks last night and they are in a fish tank with a screen on top with a 60W ceramic reptile bulb with shade holder sitting on the screen. My babies are laying just outside of the heat lamp which tells me the temps are right. The rest of the tank is 84.5 degrees. This way if the chicks get too hot they can move to a cooler area [​IMG] Have fun with your chicks! [​IMG]

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by