variations on the greener pastures recipe

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by joeymomrn, Aug 16, 2010.

1. joeymomrn

joeymomrn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2010
    Hi all, newbie here, first post even. [​IMG] We have 8 EE's and have been feeding them this recipe http://www.greenerpasturesfarm.com/ChickStarterRecipe.html (it's the #3 one). Anyways, I like it and all and the girls seem to be doing fine and growing well. They are 6 weeks old or so. I am wondering if anyone has used this recipe but maybe tweeked it a bit. I would like something simplier. I think all the grains are great but I'm not sure they're all necessary, even as the lady says on the site, just make sure they get enough protein. I am thinking of doing maybe just the wheat berries, oat groats, corn, kelp and some flax, oh and I may keep in the legumes as they're a good protein source. The recipe for when the hens are full grown contains even 3 more grains and they are pricier too. Has anyone else made a feed like this before? Thanks!

2. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Hi,
    I make my own feed. I feel more grain diversity is better. I think that is the general consensus of those that make their own feed.

Here is what I feed. All organic except the Black Oil Sunflower Seed. I buy in bulk and my cost is around $16 per 50lbs.

ON
    Oh yes welcome to BYC! [​IMG]
    --------

6 part Black Oil Sunflower (17%P)
    6 part Oats (12%P)
    6 parts Red Wheat (17%P)

3 part Field Peas (24%P)
    3 part cracked Corn (9%P)
    3 part whole Flax (34%P)
    3 part Alfalfa (17%P)

.5 part Kelp
    .125 Oyster shell
    .125 DE
    .125 Azomite

Notes:
    For daily mash first 3 ingredients are mixed and sprouted. Last 8 ingredients are mixed and wetted for mash prior to mixing in with sprouts.

Proper ratio is as follows for daily serving..: 2 parts sprouts to 1 part mash.

Above mix has ::: PROTIEN= 17% unsprouted

Sup. With meat or fish which is about 25% protein

Sup with ACV, Kombucha, Yogurt or water kefir for probiotic..

3. joeymomrn

Aug 16, 2010
    thank you for your response. Still your recipe has less grains in it than the greener pastures which adds millit, barley, quinoa, amaranth, and kamat. Anyways, this is interesting and very helpful. May I ask why you sprout the first group of ingredients and how you do that? Our chicks eat the grains very well just au natural, not cooked or anything. Of course they are also given grit.

4. Organics North

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:I do two things. First off I fresh grind the grains and offer it dry 24x7 in PVC feeders. Secondly, they get a morning and night feeding of the wet mash and sprouted grains. I could skip the sprouting, but the birds do enjoy it very much, and I like the idea of living green food even during our long winters when their is no range to be free on.. Sprouting also changes the nutrient profile of the grains, boosting protein as well.

For sprouting I have 2 five gallon pails that nest well together. One has small holes drilled in the bottom of it. I soak the grains over night then drain. After that I rinse and drain the grains twice a day with fresh water. Yes it is extra work and the birds would eat the grains without doing this....But they sure do like it.

If I could grow or afford Quinoa I would feed it. It is a spectacular grain.

Be well
    ON

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  5. joeymomrn

Aug 16, 2010
    thanks again! I like quinoa too, though it is mucho dinero to be sure. So, are there any other people who make their own feed out there????? What do your feed your hens? My husband said there are TONS of people with chickens on this site. Are you all just buying feed (and please don't try and convince me to do this, lol)? [​IMG]

6. Organics North

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Hmmmmm... Bump..[​IMG]
    Did you see this site?
    http://www.lionsgrip.com/pastured.html
    Some interesting recipes on there too.

A few other folks that make their own feed are on BYC.. I know it..

May I ask why you feel it is worth the effort to make your own feed?

I make my own for our families heath, our birds health and vigor, saving money, boycotting the "system", No GMO's, No soy, little corn, good exercise for my mind...
    AND
    My eggs color and flavor... leave any birds eggs fed on commercial feed alone in the dust..... period

ON

7. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    I'm very interested in making my own chicken feed. I've lately been trying to feed my own family healthier foods (a la, "Nourishing Traditions")

Do you have a local bulk foods store where you buy your grains? I don't and would need to order online and would appreciate any website recommendations for buying organic bulk grains.

Edited to ad: Organics North, I like your recipe. It looks a little more manageable. Some of those other recipes call for ingredients I have no idea where to buy and the cost of having it shipped to me is way too high.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  8. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    Another question.. when you say "oats" are you referring to rolled oats, steel cut oats or groats?

9. joeymomrn

Aug 16, 2010
    ON...thanks for the link, I'll check that out for sure later when I'm not watching my two year old. I am making my own feed for almost all of the same reasons as you. My dh I think would be fine with buying feed locally but even he prefers organic and there is none in our area that we can find. The sunny south is great for many reason but organics and non-gmo's availability is limited for sure. I want my feed to be non-gmo and organic because we eat the eggs, period. I never thought about this before we got our own chicks, I thought that free range and healthy birds was all that was important. I never considered that what they eat....um, we eat. I also am a big make it/do it yourself mama. I cloth diaper, make my own laundry detergent and other cleaners and most everything (except toilet paper) in our house is cloth. I dislike our "convenient" culture and find that the old ways of doing things work better in most instances and are better for our world and us too!

For the other poster, right now I just joined a local co-op. There is a link to find a local co-op in your area, I will have to find it and maybe post it later for you. My co-op is an hour away or so, which I'm not happy about but the organic grains are MUCH cheaper even with the gas mileage. Right now I have been buying them in bulk from our local Whole foods. This is expensive for now but I always planned to find a cheaper source and thankfully I finally have. There are many organic/natural food distributors throughout the USA, so depending where you live, you may be on one of their truck routes and can have it delivered for relatively inexpensive. There are none in our area. The food co-op gets theres from a company in NJ, but I can special order and it'll come in a few weeks, not bad really. Oh, the oats I use are oat groats. I had never heard of them before making this feed. I think they're the whole oats from which oatmeals come from. Oatmeals are basically cut from the groats, if I am correct.

10. joeymomrn

Aug 16, 2010
    Ok Tina, I found the site to find a local co-op or distributor. HTH!
    http://www.coopdirectory.org/

Good luck with making your own feed, its fun and so wholesome looking : )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by