Varied aged chicks together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TitiBebbs, Apr 29, 2007.

1. TitiBebbs

TitiBebbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    I'm a seriously serious newby. We [my dad] got 15 and kept them in the pen under lights until about a week ago. Daddy had been told this would "teach" them where to go for "home" at night. A week and a half later, I got 6 new ones (different breed-colored ones) and they went right in with the original group. Everything was great (except the ducklings got so big so fast) and recently, we've been letting everyone out into a "yard" of electric fence that's not working yet(I don't know how to do that) when we [ds and I-Daddy's gone back south] are home and on the weekends. Last week (9 days ago) I got 8 more of unknown breed. We've been keeping them indoors under light in a papertowel-lined box. I'm concerned about putting them with the others (they are close to a month apart) and I'm concerned with letting them outdoors. From what I've read, the older ones might pick on the babies and the babies might not get enough food. I built a small "box" for the newest ones and planned on putting them in there but I'm not sure what to do. I'm in North Florida and the temp has been in the mid-to-high 80's during the day and 50's-low 70's at night. I want to put them out but I'm afraid of the consequences. Any help will be great.

2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    I assume you are getting day old chicks. If so, you have a big size difference between the first group and the last. There is also a difference in the heat requirement.

Put them in an area where they can see each other, but not get to each other. After a few days, try putting them together. Watch them carefully to make sure no one gets hurt. The older they get the harder it will be to integrate them, because the older ones are already getting their pecking order established.

So everyone will get food and water, use more than one feeder and waterer and place them at opposite ends of the pen. Place the heat source at one end of the pen also so that those that need more heat can get closer and the others further from the heat.

Do you have a coop built ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by