varied answers about humidity what do you recommend ? + showing off fridge bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WarrenHound, Mar 2, 2013.

1. WarrenHound

WarrenHound Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2012
    texas
    i recently set up a mini fridge (that i was given for free at a storage auction) as an incubator and it is maintaining a temp at 99.5, it has a fan, heater, thermostat and humidity reader. i have a small bowl of water at the bottom for humidity and it is reading consistently at 37% humidity i am worried as some of the articles i have read say to keep it at 40% others 20% and 50% then 60s during lock down =/ the incubator is in the house and as i said maintaining these i have locked off one vent hole in hopes of raising humidity ...what should my humidity goals be for both dry and wet incubation? i'd prefer to try dry .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ADD: i can adjust temp with this btw =D

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  2. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    It looks good! I like to do 30-35% the first 18 days and 50-55% the last 3 days. It works well for me.

3. PrairieRidge

PrairieRidge Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Is the reason for the higher humidity the last 3 days so chicks don't stick to the shell?

4. WarrenHound

WarrenHound Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2012
    texas
    you know i'm not sure [​IMG] this is just how i was taught

5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

6. Francischick

Francischick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    mississippi
    First day I went 99.5-100.5 humidity 40-45% 18th day Lockdown 100 degrees 70-85 humidity you do not want the shells to stick to them at all if possible it no fun for you and especially for them.

7. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Yes, you want to raise the humidity so when they hatch the membrane/shell doesn't stick to them.

8. Stephen JP

Stephen JP New Egg

Feb 12, 2013
    I am not sure how important all the tech is as when my birds are looking after their own eggs they don't have aids!! How does a chicken change the humidity? I have 94 eggs in my incubator at the moment, these are all different as in duck, chicken and guinea fowl. All due at different times!! However, I have 23 chicken eggs on day 18 and Muscovy s on day 8 :) so far all progress is good, fingers crossed :)

9. wezl

wezl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    West Georgia
    Good luck with the hatch! It's so exciting! The only reason we need the tech is we have to simulate the eggs being under a hen's butt! It's funny how very specific that environment is. They're just eggs. Some types of reptile eggs don't require all of this and some birds can leave their eggs with completely different species and yet they survive. I'm just always amazed when I replace that hen with my technology, and it works! Reading about incubation history can really give you insight to what it is we've created in these little styrofoam boxes!

10. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

do you use a hatching bator with your staggered hatches?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by