Varied temps shipping to incubator

Sherol

Songster
Apr 7, 2015
San Antonio Tx
I ordered some hatching eggs and put them in a cool place overnight to settle when I got them. Now they are in the incubator. It has been in the 90's here in Texas and I am wondering if during shipping the warm weather started them developing and then the overnight in a cool area may have messed them up. Should I still be ok if the got warm then cool then in the incubator.

Hi Sherol,
frow.gif

I'm no expert, incubating my first batch right now....not new to chickens though, I've just used a broody in the past. - I think your eggs probably aren't going to be impacted too much, if any. How far did they travel to reach you? I'm sure the temps varied enough over the time and distance, to keep them from starting....

You should let the eggs come up to room temp prior to popping them in the bator.... don't want to shock them....

I'm from the Fort Worth area, originally, miss home terribly!
hmm.png
- Love San Antonio! As teens we used to drive down on the weekends....those were the days
smile.png

Happy Hatching!
jumpy.gif

I ordered some hatching eggs and put them in a cool place overnight to settle when I got them. Now they are in the incubator. It has been in the 90's here in Texas and I am wondering if during shipping the warm weather started them developing and then the overnight in a cool area may have messed them up. Should I still be ok if the got warm then cool then in the incubator.
If you candled before setting and there was no visible development, you should be fine. There have actually been studies done with preincubating eggs (I think for 1-3 days) and then suspending incubation process. It is best though to let them rest and come to room temp before adding them to the bator as n8ivetxn said.

Hi Sherol,
frow.gif

I'm no expert, incubating my first batch right now....not new to chickens though, I've just used a broody in the past. - I think your eggs probably aren't going to be impacted too much, if any. How far did they travel to reach you? I'm sure the temps varied enough over the time and distance, to keep them from starting....

You should let the eggs come up to room temp prior to popping them in the bator.... don't want to shock them....

I'm from the Fort Worth area, originally, miss home terribly!
hmm.png
- Love San Antonio! As teens we used to drive down on the weekends....those were the days
smile.png

Happy Hatching!
jumpy.gif
Too funny!!! I just asked on another thread where in Texas you came from...lol Guess I should have kept reading threads...lol

@AmyLynn, oh I missed that! Must've read right over it
hide.gif
Yeah, sometimes I wish I'd made different decisions and I could be at home where the summers are long and hot.... instead of here, where they're short and "meh!" This year we hardly had a summer at all
sad.png
really...

@AmyLynn, oh I missed that! Must've read right over it
hide.gif
Yeah, sometimes I wish I'd made different decisions and I could be at home where the summers are long and hot.... instead of here, where they're short and "meh!" This year we hardly had a summer at all
sad.png
really...
I hate NY winters, laws, prices and people...lol I home school my son and NY is one of the 5 most restrictive homeschool states and Texas is the least....lol Between nice weather and homeschool freedoms, it's very desirable...lol If I never saw snow again for the rest of my life, I wouldn't be sad.

I lived up in East Texas for 12 years.. in the Longview and Kilgore area. Lost my mind and ended up in Ohio. Ohio is pretty country but nothing like Texas. Mom is in Kerrville so San Antonio was closest to relocate and get working. I love San Antonio but bought a house an hour from where I work to be in the county. Will never leave Texas again .. lol

I let them sit on the counter a while to warm up then put them in the incubator. I could not find air sacks on most and it seemed like the yolk was dark, larger and moved around. I am so hoping they did not get scrambled. I hatched some of my own and had a good hatch rate and no issues finding egg sacks on dark and colored eggs. We will see in a week when I candle them. FIngers crossed ..

I hate NY winters, laws, prices and people...lol I home school my son and NY is one of the 5 most restrictive homeschool states and Texas is the least....lol Between nice weather and homeschool freedoms, it's very desirable...lol If I never saw snow again for the rest of my life, I wouldn't be sad.

You sound like me, talking about Washington and rain! If it wasn't for meeting a wonderful man, I'd be home right now
roll.png

I lived up in East Texas for 12 years.. in the Longview and Kilgore area. Lost my mind and ended up in Ohio. Ohio is pretty country but nothing like Texas. Mom is in Kerrville so San Antonio was closest to relocate and get working. I love San Antonio but bought a house an hour from where I work to be in the county. Will never leave Texas again .. lol

I let them sit on the counter a while to warm up then put them in the incubator. I could not find air sacks on most and it seemed like the yolk was dark, larger and moved around. I am so hoping they did not get scrambled. I hatched some of my own and had a good hatch rate and no issues finding egg sacks on dark and colored eggs. We will see in a week when I candle them. FIngers crossed ..

"Lost my mind," - I love it! LOL...yeah, I'm still looking for mine! Kerrville is nice, Fredericksburg....I just love that whole area, but that being said, I almost bought a place around Palestine/Nacogdoches, before "he" asked me not to leave
hmm.png
- I should've run faster!
lol.png

I think you can't see the air sac because the eggs are fresh - maybe? That's my reasoning anyway, maybe AmyLynn will say something .....I know the older they get, the bigger the sac gets (moisture evap).

I lived up in East Texas for 12 years.. in the Longview and Kilgore area. Lost my mind and ended up in Ohio. Ohio is pretty country but nothing like Texas.  Mom is in Kerrville so San Antonio was closest to relocate and get working. I love San Antonio but bought a house an hour from where I work to be in the county. Will never leave Texas again .. lol

You sound like me, talking about Washington and rain! If it wasn't for meeting a wonderful man, I'd be home right now :rolleyes:

"Lost my mind," - I love it! LOL...yeah, I'm still looking for mine! Kerrville is nice, Fredericksburg....I just love that whole area, but that being said, I almost bought a place around Palestine/Nacogdoches, before "he" asked me not to leave :/ - I should've run faster! :lol:

I think you can't see the air sac because the eggs are fresh - maybe? That's my reasoning anyway, maybe AmyLynn will say something .....I know the older they get, the bigger the sac gets (moisture evap).

You guys just make me want to relocate more and more...lol

It very well could be a matter of they are really fresh and were stored really well before being sent. The silkie eggs I got from Rubynala97 were so fresh and well stored that I could not see the majority of the air cells. There were a few that were a little wobbly and those I could make out, but I just held my breath and set them...lol by about day 4, I think, I could see pretty much all of them. The Guinea eggs I just did for my nephew were the same. There were some I couldn't see. It is weird cause even collecting my own I can usually see at least a tiny air cell from the day they are laid.

I have a few Araucana eggs that I still couldn't see the air sac on day 7... but the shells on those particular ones are very smooth and dark, I really can't make out anything, so I just set them anyway...other than being difficult to see, they're really the nicest eggs in the bunch. Tonight is day 10 and I'm so nervous.... I hope there are some signs of life
fl.gif

This egg incubating business is stressful! It's just taken over everything
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom