Various aged chicks - help please

kiwiegg

Songster
10 Years
Jul 7, 2009
Minnesota
Hi everyone. Today is the day! We picked out chicks up from the hatchery this morning and I have a couple of questions if anyone can help. I'm not sure exactly how old the chicks are but the hatchery guy told me most were 5-8 days. The 9 Gold Stars are pretty big and already have some feathers growing, so are the 5 Americanas - I guess about the size of an orange. The 3 Buffs are younger and about half the size of the others. It was a 90 minute drive and they are all doing well in their new brooder together.

I am wondering what I need to do for the older ones so they don't get bored and start pecking? They ate like crazy for the first hour they got here and are now settling down, some are sitting down grooming, some are trying to sleep and others are still at the buffet line gorging themselves.

When do they get treats? What can I give for treats? Some are pecking in the pine shavings and scratching with their back legs in the pine shavings.

Should I just leave them be?

They will be fine. You could put some perch type material in there for the to jump on. I give mine some scrambled egg and make sure they have chick grit if you give them any kind of treats. I also gave mine some tiny mealworms...they went nuts for those.

When they peck, it's a natural way of saying " Hey, I'm boss here!" I have three 2 weekers and one 3 week old chick, and they do perfect together.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom