1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

vaseline? bag balm?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LearningToFly, Jan 20, 2009.

1. LearningToFly

LearningToFly Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    We just got one of our adult hens about a month ago; she's 18 mos old. Her feet are kinda gnarly looking, very dry and bumpy. Today I was noticing what I think are cracks that might be bleeding.

I was going to try coating her feet in vaseline for protection from the elements, etc., but I don't have any and it will be days before I do.

However, I have bag balm. Can I put that on her feet?

What could be causing this, anyway? Or is it normal chicken feet? My other hens don't look like this, but they're only about 8 months old.

2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    sounds like it could be scaly leg mites...and your other birds will eventually get like that as well if it isn't treated. Do a quick search on it, there are different treatments

3. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Yup, sounds like leg mites. You'll want to get rid of these. I've heard ivermectin and also baby oil.

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    In a couple of my books on chickens it says to use 1 teaspoon kerosene and 5 teaspoons cooking oil. Wash legs and feet , dry and swab this stuff on. Wait a week and do it again for 4 weeks.
    Might not hurt to treat all of them at once.

5. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
  6. LearningToFly

LearningToFly Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2007
    Thanks, Julie.

Eeew, that's exactly what Jane's feet look like. Thankfully Helen, Ethyl and Lucie are not suffering yet.

Poor Jane was bleeding, so I coated her legs and feet today with Bag Balm, and will continue to do so 2x a week and see what happens. I'll also keep an eye on the other girls.

7. lichick28

lichick28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
    If her feet are bleeding I wouldnt put kerosene on them right now. What about veg. or olive oil to help with the cracking until you can get medicine. I read somewhere about an over the counter med for people that also treats scaly leg mites something like CAMPHO----? hopefully someone knows the word I'm looking for.

8. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    It definitely sounds like leg mites. Try WD 40 and Sevin dust on top of that. Do this every three days for two weeks.

9. Bobbi Jack

Bobbi Jack Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    Seems like there are a lot of different options for what you can use to treat it. I use 1 part kerosene/3 parts Linseed oil, and it seems to work pretty well.
    Whatever you use, you should also put it on your roosts, as the mites spend some of their time burrowed in them.

10. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    Bag Balm...don't get it on the feathers.
    I'd consider treating the cracks with neosporin.
    don't use the kind with pain killer.

and treat for mites.
    Ivermec or Eprinex..
    Sevin might work..but Ivermec works best with Scaley Leg.

do you have any antibiotic available?

there is a vet ointment that has antibiotic and antifungal..
    (Scaley Leg mites can sometimes cause both infections)..

Panalog..or the generic Animax..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by