vaulted skull silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rebel yell, Aug 28, 2010.

1. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    i am fairly new to silkies & keep reading about silkies haveing vaulted skulls, can someone explain what this means or have a photo of one vaulted & one not.

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Look at this site to read about it. It's desired by some, but my experience has been that they are very vulnerable. I even had one hatch with crookneck because of pressure on the brain due to being pressed on for so long- the skull is soooooooooo vaulted. I know there's got to be almost a complete lack of skull there on this guy.

I prefer birds with legitimate crests of fuzz, not bare brains.

3. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    Do a BYC search. There was a thread on this a couple of months ago.

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    here are two silkies that were born yesterday one has a vaulted skull the other does not
    [​IMG]
    the vaults make the crests look bigger. this roo has a vaulted skull
    [​IMG]

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I dont breed for or against vaulted skulls. The non vaulted birds can have as big a crest as the vaulted birds. I just think that the vault makes the chicks look a bit cuter. [​IMG]

6. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    I had been wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking this question.

7. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    thanks everyone for the info. keep it comming, like to see more photos.

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:I think more and more silkie breeders who used to breed FOR the vaults are coming to this conclusion; that said, vaulted ones do tend to be more prone to head injury, but only slightly so.

10. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I think more and more silkie breeders who used to breed FOR the vaults are coming to this conclusion; that said, vaulted ones do tend to be more prone to head injury, but only slightly so.

[​IMG] This is true! It really doesnt matter if its vaulted or not as long is it has a nice crest. Ohh and Im sure there are many exceptions to this but many people think that vaulted skulls should be avoided like the plague and will die with just a tap on the head. I have 24 silkie chicks. Out of those, I may have had about 5 non vaulted ones. I have had no problems what so ever with them. They sure are cuter as chicks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by