Vaulted skull?

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
Not my chick, not my hatch but from my eggs. All I know is it was hatched under a broody hen. I did not give her, the owner of the broody hen, any eggs from vaulted birds. She got olive eggs. Rooster is an EE leghorn cross and the hens are a variety of olive and blue egg layers. I’d like to know if this is something I should worry about in my flock. I have asked her to keep me updated on the chick.
EC9390DB-21B3-4113-AFF9-5D742AA3A7A6.jpeg

Doesn't appear vaulted. Crested chickens are different than crested ducks. Crested ducks have no skull plate under the crest, which is what makes the crest. Crested chickens can have a called skull plate or not, which would make the crest larger if they do, but it isn't necessary.

Looks more to me like two of the plates in the skull didn't connect together when forming

Doesn't appear vaulted. Crested chickens are different than crested ducks. Crested ducks have no skull plate under the crest, which is what makes the crest. Crested chickens can have a called skull plate or not, which would make the crest larger if they do, but it isn't necessary.

Looks more to me like two of the plates in the skull didn't connect together when forming
Do you think the chick will be okay? That the plates will end up fusing together or no?
I thought the same thing. That it looked like some fleshy material protruding from its head. But I wasn’t sure since I don’t have the chick.

The black chick ended up dying but the person told me that all of the other chicks that made it to day 21 and didn’t hatch were also black. Coincidence? Or something to worry about?

Back
Top Bottom