Vegan "meat" loaf!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by RachelFromTheBlackLagoon, Jul 18, 2010.

1. I had been looking for a good meatless loaf recipe and stumbled upon this one http://myveggiekitchen.blogspot.com/2010/07/vegan-meatloaf.html I made it last night and it came out really delicious! There are a few things I'd suggest for this recipe. First of all, I couldn't find Marmite anywhere. I don't know how common it is in the US, but even health food stores said they'd have to special order it. If you can't find the Marmite, I'd recommend substituting with some other strong flavor, such as more steak sauce or some good BBQ sauce. I'd also zest up the glaze a bit. It's just plain ketchup, kinda boring and I don't think it does much for the loaf. I really enjoyed this as leftovers. It was great cold, much less crumbly than it was when hot, and actually more flavorful. I bet it would make an awesome sandwich. I ate it cold, dipped in some steak sauce, for lunch today. Delicious!

Here's the recipe from the above link:

Bulgur Mixture:
    1/2 cup bulgur
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1 cup coconut milk (small can)
    2 tbs vegan Worcestershire Sauce
    2 tbs steak sauce

Dry Ingredients:
    6 oz tempeh, grated
    1 onion, very finely chopped
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    2 tbs ground flax seed
    1/2 tsp Marmite (optional, but very good)
    1 tsp browning sauce (optional, for color)
    3/4 cup vital wheat gluten

Herbs:
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp fresh thyme, minced (or 1/2 tsp dried)
    1/2 tsp fresh oregano, minced (or 1/4 tsp dried)
    1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, minced (or 1/8 tsp dried)
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1 cup parsley, chopped

Glaze:
    1/3 cup ketchup

Combine the bulgur with the wet ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Stir and remove from heat. Set aside, allowing the bulgur to absorb the moisture, for about 20 minutes. It will still be a bit saucy.

Meanwhile, start grating & chopping. Combine all the dry ingredients and herbs, EXCEPT the vital wheat gluten. When the bulgur is ready, stir together with the dry ingredients. Add the vital wheat gluten and knead with you hand for a couple minutes, allowing the gluten to fully hydrate. Form into a loaf and place into a greased bread pan. Spread the remaining ketchup on top of the loaf. Cover with tin foil.

A few minutes before you're ready, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 60 minutes, removing the foil for the final 15 minutes of cooking. Let cool for 5 minutes.

6 servings: 312 cal ( 14g fat, 28g carbs, 22g protein)

2. Xodrana

Xodrana In the Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Marmite can be found in stores selling things from the U.K. I've seen it in an Australian store here in Portland Or.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by