Vegas, Baby!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by VegasDobermanns, Sep 3, 2014.

1. VegasDobermanns

VegasDobermanns Just Hatched

Aug 31, 2014
    Hiya,

I'm new here, and located in Vegas. Many decades ago, I used to have a large flock of ladies and a couple of roosters, but that was when we lived in CA. Now that we are in the desert and suburbia, I don't have any - yet. But I want to raise them again and duckies, too. Maybe even rabbits, but I don't want to raise the rabbits in cages, so I am still studying and learning better ways for that.

My coup was large and had about 12 nesting boxes above ground. Had several really good brooders. I had reds and barred rock and whatever the neighbors didn't want anymore. The floor was hay on dirt (the land) and I really don't remember ever having a big mess that needed cleaning. We just would rake it out when it started to smell and replace the hay. The birds had a huge covered run (turkey vultures loved to roost right above them) that I would section off and water different sections to grow grass for them, too. So they had their grain, fresh lawn clippings that we always spread out so they would not heat up and their pasture areas.

When the garden got bugs, I would pick a chicken from the coup, tie a string to its leg and stake a few in the garden for them to catch all the bugs. They used to fight to be in the front so I would pick them. LOL. The veggie garden was on the other side of the property, and these chickens were not the friendliest bunch cause I didn't spend a lot of time with them. Just like Soap on a Rope, I had Chicken on a Rope. They loved it.

I had so many eggs every day that I used to give them away all the time to the local food bank. We were giving eggs to the dogs, a dozen eggs a day each to the horses when they were shedding, eggs everywhere! This was before the whole "organic" and "grow your own" popularity started.

So now that I am old and need to move again, I want to find a place with the right zoning so no neighbors can't complain and I can have as many chickens and ducks as I want. There is one goose that I would love to have a pair of (I used to have geese, too). The Sebastopol. They are gorgeous! I would have them just as pets, not for meat. They don't lay many eggs anyhow. Geese make GREAT watchdogs!

I get a kick out of reading what you guys feed your ladies as treats and staples. If I have a garden, the prime fruits and veggies are for my family, not the birdies - LOL. I'd want to give them the leaves of the plants (those they can eat) and perhaps grow some duck weed for them, too, space permitting. I still need to find out how much duck weed a bird needs in a day along with meal worms (I would do a meal worm farm, too), cause I really don't want to buy grains that I don't know if they are GMO or whatnot. Also, alfalfa flakes are much better for them than the cubes, and they love it. Never had a problem with it before, so I would get some alfalfa from a neighbor for them. Put a piece of a flake in each of the nesting boxes, and they will fight over who gets to sit on the eggs - LOL. Maybe that's why I had several good brooders.

If anyone has any good tips or links on learning what it takes regulation wise and site wise to be able to sell the meat to restaurants and the public, I'd love to read them. There are so many more regulations these days than there were then.

Ops, sorry this became a novel! Anyhow, hiya! Just call me CS. Have fingers, will type.... LOL

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. No problem, I like reading novels. :eek:) We visited my aunt in Las Vegas several times before she passed away. The lights at night on the strip and in glitter gulch are just amazing. As far as raising meat chickens and selling the meat to restaurants, you can find the answers your looking for at http://www.pianz.org.nz/industry-in...s/how-to-start-a-meat-chicken-production-farm. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in starting your meat chicken farm.

1 person likes this.
  3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright CS, [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

BYC has a very useful learning center [​IMG]

Big difference in having chickens in the desert for one you need to provide everything shade feed water and safety all the time ..... [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Wow, wonderful introduction! Sounds like you have had some wonderful experiences during your days of keeping poultry.

I don't know anything about selling professionally to restaurants or business's. Although I do sell my chicken and quail eggs occasionally to the local Herb Market. Around here, we are very lax and don't need licencing or anything like this. But most cities probably do. Michael has left you with a great link to follow and hopefully answers some of your questions.

Good luck in all your adventures and anywhere they take you. Welcome to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

1 person likes this.
  7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

1 person likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Great intro!:)

1 person likes this.
  10. VegasDobermanns

VegasDobermanns Just Hatched

Aug 31, 2014
    Yeah, I know, and I need to also find heat tolerant breeds, too. Can't just get the prettiest, best layers that strike my fancy. I have a good friend here in Vegas that raises her own, so that will be a starting point, when I am ready, to see what breeds she has and how well each of them are doing in our heat. At least raising chickens or geese or other animals isn't new to me. [​IMG] Used to live on a farm!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by