Vegas family

4thevegaskids

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
Hi all how is everyone doing? We are new to back yard chickens and think this is a really cool site! We live in Las Vegas and are looking to get some kind of animal life and culture for our boys. We have dogs,fish and desert tortoises but are now looking into some chickens. Does anyone know if during the winters here do we need to have the coop insulated or heated? When I lived in Oregon and my dad bred rabbits he did not have his barn insulated and I believe it got colder there than here; can anyone help me on this? We are only thinking of having 4 chickens and would even LOVE suggestions on what types do well here and give brown eggs! Thanks again and I look forward to any advice you might have

Andrew

Greetings from Kansas, Andrew, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! To your question of your coop needing heat or insulation, the answer is no. In fact, living in Vegas as you do, you needn't have any concerns about your chickens in the winter. I live in Kansas and have an uninsulated, unheated metal coop and my birds do just fine. In states north of me many others do the same. As long as your coop is draft-free (but vented) you are good to go. You should be much more concerned with the Vegas heat - chickens don't handle this nearly as well. (Think cool fresh water, breeze, and SHADE). Good luck to you and have fun!!

Welcome to BYC, I'm not an eggspert but I believe Marans and Welsummers lay brown eggs, I am sure there are others. You could put "Brown egg layers," in the search box and see what pops up.

Back
Top Bottom