vegeables!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Iancurrannacearca, May 9, 2009.

1. Iancurrannacearca

Iancurrannacearca Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2009
    a neighbour of mine wants to get chickens and she has a vegeable patch with lettuce,
    cabbage, potatoes, garlic, rubarb, strawberries, goosberries, rasberries, pumpkin, courgeets,
    tomatoes, apples, carrots, peas and broadbeans.

will the chickens eat her vegeables?

are these save for chickens?

2. Sam The Yam

Sam The Yam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Oh yes! Those chickens can have a hay day in a garden! The question is: Is the garden safe from chickens!? My mother's chickens recently got out of their coop and she found them in the garden and she said that her swiss chard and other small plants were now gone. They love vegetables.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yup. My hens free range so my garden is fenced with 6' chicken wire. Gave up on mulching the shrubbery as they scratch it all out. Don't even try annual flowers -- except I did discover last year they are not interested in zinnias.

4. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    From what I've been reading, she'll want to keep the chickens away from tomatoes and potatoes as the greens are deadly. I'm fencing off mine, at the moment. My fence is only 4 feet tall so I'm praying it'll be tall enough once I clip them. I'm not letting them free range until they are too big to fit through the lattice on the fence (I'm also putting chicken wire behind the lattice to prevent nosy heads.

ETA: Tomatoes are members of the nightshade family and that is why their leaves and stems are deadly. I can't remember what the reason for the potatoes other than they're poisonous to pets.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  5. we fenced the tomatoes and the squash with 4 foot field fencing and then put 2 feet of the small fencing over the bottom half so they could not squeeze in thru the holes in the field fencing, Now they just stand and look at the squash plants, not the tomatoes to much,so much rain, they aren't growing well. the okra and pumpkings don't get much of a look since it's well fenced to. marrie

6. Ron

Ron Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Southeast Texas
    Potatoes and eggplant are also members of the nightshade family, I think.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Yup. Also bell peppers.

8. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    DANG! Bell peppers too? I guess I'll putting those in the front yard after all. Ugh! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by