Vegetable planting and gardening....

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by ThinkingChickens, Aug 19, 2011.

1. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I thought I'd post a photo of the other part of my yard, other than my chicken's area. This is the main "drag" in the backyard, complete with three large raised vegetable planters, three fruit trees, numerous roses and other flowering plants, etc. Soon we'll be expanding further up and behind the studio where we already have a pumpkin patch....

[​IMG]
    Raised planters, fruit trees a more by Raven Wren Designs, on Flickr

This is a close up of one of our shade covers. These are great at protection the plants from too much sun as well as birds.

[​IMG]
    Shade cover over raised planter by Raven Wren Designs, on Flickr

Feel free to post your garden photos as well!

2. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    nice shade covers - the sun and heat really did a number on our garden this summer. I"m looking forward to fall planting. Due to the weather, I'm not going to plant seeds - I'll have to buy starts (not having the time to do them indoors right now).

3. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    I like your shade cover ideals. It looks like you take great pride in you landscape, beautiful back yard.

I am thinking about using some of that new plastic, fiberglass, or what ever its made of, porch decking material to make a few raised beds next year. Seems to me it should last a little longer than untreated lumber. Anyways, your shade covers would work well in this situation, and could also do double duty as a support for green house plastic (for those that like to plant super early).

4. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    My garden has done well this year, just the other day I dug these up. A little early but I was pleasantly surprised at there size.

[​IMG]

5. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    Good looking spuds Moe. I see you have my wife habit of planting flowers in the veggie garden.
    Our Taters have done all they are going to do and we will soon be plowing them all up. We will soon have our second crop of corn and squash. We also just planted Broccoli this wkend. Our freezer is already full of Okra, Corn, Squash, Strawberries, Blackberries, and blueberries. We currently are canning Tomatoes which we seem to have an abundance of. Okra and Peppers,( bell, bananna and cyanne), are still going strong. Looks like we will also be blessed with plenty of sweet potatoes. And of course, Sunflowers, Zinnias and Marigolds.

In about 6-8 more wks, I will plow everything under and plant in winter rye. Around Christmas, I will turn the chickens in to eat the rye and fertilize for next spring.

6. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    Wow mudd, sounds like you have quite the garden. I do what I can in my garden and enjoy all I harvest. I do the winter rye as well but my chickens are confined so I till it in come spring. Enjoy the rest of the season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by