Vegetal smell coming from beak...crop, eating and poop normal. Behavior normal.

HaHaFarms

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 19, 2015
Minnetonka MN
So my 1 year old hen has a funny smell coming from her beak. Not at all yeasty, more like vegetables that are not very fresh. Her crop is empty in the morning and feeling flat and normal. Poops are abundant in the morning and normal. Energy is happy and normal. We tried to look in her mouth tonight, couldn't see anything thinking maybe something is caught and decaying. Gave scrambled eggs and olive oil for breakfast yesterday, then started probiotics in water last night, now 24 hours ago. This morning gave tomatoes and kale for breakfast. Smell has improved, though still present. Thinking of going back to the scrambled eggs and olive oil tomorrow with another crop massage. Seems like the only answer is sour crop though she doesn't have the traditional symptoms except the breath. Any other ideas what it could be?

One thought... I switched from a pellet style feed to one that has oats, corn, and a powdery substance--I was bummed when I opened the bag because it was not what I was expecting though it is organic so I figured it is ok. Maybe the oats are not digesting properly? I notice they avoid them with the other scratch grains I have given.... She also ate a big worm last week!! Any help or insight is GREATLY appreciated!

PS: I did read some other posts about feeding monistat 7 day if it is sour crop...any advice on that??????? Seems weird but if it works, I would try it!? Thanks!

I doubt if it is sour crop without a puffy balloon-like crop.They will usually act sick, stand-offish, and stand around without eating. Usually with sour crop, they will vomit when the chicken is tilted forward and down.It might be cheaper to get a bag of your previous feed, and start her back on it. I would look inside her beak with a light for anything unusual, such as stuck food, or yellow or gray patches.

Thank you for your response. I am so relieved, yet still concerned--she is still super lively so I will take that as a good sign!

I was looking at their food again tonight and it just gave me an icky instinct--it's not right. It looks more scratch grains and not real food. Not sure what the powdery substance is.... This stuff can go to the birds! and Deer! and Ducks! that are all so abundant right now!

I fed her scrambled eggs again this morning with olive oil and she is the same or slightly better than yesterday. Definitely not worse! Probiotics in the water too... Tomorrow I am making the trek to pick up their old pellet feed!!! Thanks for the suggestion and we will make another attempt to look in her beak again--any tips how to get a good look? And what do grey or yellow patches indicate?

Thanks!

Just circling around on this issue, I identified the cause! Tomatoes! I was feeding chopped tomatoes every day...stopped feeding them, smell went away. They still love a tomato from time to time but I make sure it is only an occasional treat!

Back
Top Bottom