vegetarian and the petition

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by dntd, May 31, 2010.

1. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    Ok so some guy in my city wants to make a petition so that we can have back yard chickens, I asked if he could include rabbits too. His reply was that he was a vegetarian and it would go agienst his concience. I found that rude and really bias. I could get a petition started just for the rabbits, it would be quite easy, unlike the chickens rabbits are normally kept outside in many backyards even without it being legal. Rabbits don`t do many things like the rabbits(noise) and personally speaking they both are just as tasty;) Also in the newspaper the mayor did include rabbits when he talked about checking in on keeping them outdoors. IDK why but this has really bugged me!BTW I`m for both.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    You should start your own petition for rabbits.. [​IMG]

3. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    He must be one of those so-so vegetarians that don't eat eggs.... [​IMG]

4. dntd

Dec 4, 2009
    I could easily start a petition for rabbits as all the people I have talked to thinks it`s wierd our city doesn`t allow rabbits outside, many ask`where would you put them if not outside`` I`m crazy enough to walk up to strangers to get people to sign it.

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i wonder WHY they dont want them outside?? Maybe because of the weather? its weird..never heard of that before...

6. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Quote:Maybe because they stink? They do, I've had them before [​IMG]

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA

ahh... that could be it...
    espically bucks.. pee ew! [​IMG]

8. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska

ahh... that could be it...
    espically bucks.. pee ew! [​IMG]

Yeah, our first experience with raising rabbits was our last... rather have dogs, chickens, geese and shoot wild bunnies for food...lol

9. dntd

Dec 4, 2009
    Our city has a no animal except dogs living outside bylaw, no reason I think it was just easier. My rabbitsa when they were ouitside didn`t smell as I had a good way of dealing with the mess, one being litter boxes and two washable removable tile. The stink now as they are froced to reside in my front porch, stil not too bad as I keep hay in the porch(coves stink up good) and have litter trained all my rabbits making cage cleaning 2-3 times a week easier.

10. missy_cbell21

missy_cbell21 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    maysville, nc
    I have 15 rabbits outside and there is very little smell and that is only while I am cleaning under their cages. I have wire cages and give the buns extra hay that falls through and soaks up all the urine. I cleaned under their cages for the first time in 3 months and most of it was composted under the first layer, the only smell was like fresh rabbit manure. No ammonia smell at all.

To OP, That stinks that he couldn't just see the good side of it. There may have been a few people who would sign the petition for the rabbits.
    I would start a petition for the rabbits, just be ready to face alot of people with the "Easter bunny" syndrome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by