Vegetarian And Vegan Recipes

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Kevin565, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Many of our members are vegetarian or Vegan. Some people just enjoy occasionally eating a Vegetarian meal. This thread will be a place to share a variety of Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes.

2. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    Homemade Veggie Black Bean Burger:

Ingredients

• 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    • 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
    • 1/2 onion, cut into wedges
    • 3 cloves garlic, peeled
    • 1 egg
    • 1 tablespoon chili powder
    • 1 tablespoon cumin
    • 1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
    • 1/2 cup bread crumbs

Directions

1. If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
    2. In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
    3. In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
    4. In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
    5. Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
    6. If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.

1 person likes this.
  3. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Ill provide a plethora of soups! You guys have to bear with me on the ingredient amounts though... These were soups i used to make professionally so the amounts are for 10 portions. Also, when something said ounces instead of cups I would just eyeball. The fun thing with soups is that all of the ingredients can be thrown in to your own liking. When I make these at home i just use the ingredients as a shopping list and add them as i see fit. Have fun!

Creamy Green Chili and Potato soup
    vegetarian

ing.

Margerine- 4 oz
    onions, diced- 6 oz
    celery, diced- 4 oz
    garlic, fresh, chopped- 1 Tbs
    flour- 4 oz
    green chilis, canned- 1 lb
    potatoes, peeled and diced- 2 lbs
    cumin- 1 Tbs
    black pepper- 1 tsp
    oregano- 1 Tbs
    Bay leaves- 2 leaves
    water- 1 qrt
    Better than Boullion no chicken base (vegetarian chicken base stock)- 4 oz
    half & half- 1/2 qrt
    buttermilk- 1/2 qrt
    Monterey Jack, shredded- garnish
    cilantro- garnish

-Melt margerine in stock pot
    -Add onions and celery, sautee until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes
    -add flour to create roux, cook over medium heat for five minutes
    -Add green chilis, potato, cumin, black pepper, and salt. saute 4 to 5 minutes
    -Add oregano, bay leaf water and base. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer
    -Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes until potatoes are tender

-In a seperate pan, bring half and half and buttermilk to a simmer and add to soup.
    -Garnish to taste.

***note, I like to cook the potatoes seperately and add them to the soup once the other ingredients are cooked. It makes cooking time quicker and helps keep the flour from sticking to the bottom of the stock pot.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I'm here and I'm taking notes. Thanks for starting this thread Kev. :D

5. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    No Problem [​IMG]. Hopefully we can get some great tasty recipes that everyone would like to try even non vegetarians.

6. RaspberrySalad

RaspberrySalad Out Of The Brooder

Lent is almost here, so I will keep an eye on this thread :]

7. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

In the interest of full disclosure - I was vegan for two years, then started eating a little fish and now I have a couple of my chicken's eggs once a week so I just have a specific diet. I still mostly eat a vegan diet with cheating but never red meat, chicken or dairy. I have high cholesterol I am trying to control with diet.

This is a delicious, fast and easy recipe from Vegan Planet cookbook.
    Linguine with Sage and White Bean Sauce
    2 Tblsp EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
    1 sm yellow onion, minced
    1/4 c torn fresh sage leaves
    1.5 c cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
    1 Tblsp balsamic vinegar
    1/2 tsp salt
    pepper
    1/2 c hot water or veggie stock or more as needed
    1 lb dry or fresh linguine

1. hear the evoo in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, cover, and cook unitl softened, about 5 mins. Add the sage leaves and cook for 1 min. Add hte beans , vinegar, salt and pepper to taste and stir.
    2. Transfer to a food processor or blender, add the stock and process until smooth.(We transfer to a small deep pot and use a stick blender on it). Transfer to a small saucepan over low heat and keep warm, adding more stock if it becomes too thick.(I cook the pasta at the same time so this step does not take long. We use fresh linguine)
    3. Cook the linguine al dente. Drain, add the sauce, toss to combine and garnish with whole fresh sage leaves.

It is ssooo good!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  8. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Thanks for starting this thread Kevin! We are not by any means vegetarian, but we do try to plan at least one vegetarian meal each week to add variety to our diet. Here's one of our favorites, Sweet Potato Burritos:

• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    • 1 onion, chopped
    • 4 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 or 2 cans kidney beans, drained
    • up to 4 tablespoons water
    • 3 tablespoons chili powder
    • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
    • 4 teaspoons prepared mustard
    • 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
    • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
    • 4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (I usually use 3-4 large sweet potatoes baked and then peeled and mashed)
    • 12 (10 inch) flour tortillas, warmed (or more, I usually have leftover filling)
    • 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. Heat oil in a medium skillet, and saute onion and garlic until soft. Stir in beans, mashed sweet potatoes, and mash. Gradually stir in water, if necessary, and heat until warm. Remove from heat, and stir in the chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper and soy sauce.
    3. Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly between the warm flour tortillas. Top with cheese. Fold up tortillas burrito style, and place on a baking sheet or in a glass baking dish.
    4. Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, and serve.

9. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    Here's a steamed Tofu Recipe:

Steamed Tofu with Spicy Sauce

Ingredients

1 block firm tofu

2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce (I prefer low sodium for almost all of my cooking)
    2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil (Kadoya brand is my preference)
    3 tablespoons chopped scallions
    1-2 teaspoons of red chili powder (고추가루 gochu gahloo) - optional if you do not want spice
    2 teaspoons sesame seed

Method

In a small bowl mix together soy sauce, sesame oil, scallions, red chili powder and sesame seed. Set aside.

Slice tofu in half and then slice into ¾ inch slices. Carefully layer tofu in a saucepan, trying to keep all the tofu straight. Don’t crumple them or squish them together as you will ruin the shape. Pour ½ cup of water in the pan. Place pan over high heat and cook, until water boils, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully spoon tofu slices onto a place. Spoon a bit of sauce over each block of tofu. Serve immediately.

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Thank you for this thread! Am always looking for nice vegetarian recipes. Here's one of my favourites. Good way to use up some zucchinis. (And fresh laid eggs, of course)
    Tip: Peel, grate and boil zucchini for 3 minutes. Cool down, divide into 1lb portions and freeze. When you want to make this dish, pop it into a pan, boil until cooked and squeeze the water out before adding to rest of ingredients, else dish will be too watery.

"Egg and Zucchini Thingy"

1lb zucchini - grated and cooked
    1/2 cup greenbeans, chopped and cooked (optional but very nice)
    1 tin creamed sweetcorn
    150ml self-raise flour
    1 teaspoon thyme (fresh or dried)
    5 large eggs
    5 ounces cheddar cheese -grated
    Salt and pepper
    1 tbs thyme
    Set oven 350' Farh
    Mix all ingredients together in bowl, transfer to shallow oven proof bowl and bake approx 1 hour or 'till cooked.
    Stick a knife/cake tester into the middle, if comes out almost clean, it's cooked.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by