Vegetarian Chickens?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheSpiceGirls, Nov 20, 2011.

1. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    So we went to this new restaurant for breakfast this morning and they boast about being organic, sustainable and healthy. So I ask them where they source their eggs. I REFUSE to eat eggs from hens raised in battery cages. I was just SICK on Friday after hearing about Sparboe Farms and what was going on there. I don't care if it was just a few bad employees that were abusing those hens. The fact that they are kept in those tiny cages is bad enough for me.

So anyway, the lady proudly announces that their eggs are organic, and sustainable, blah, blah, blah. She used every buzz word she could think of. She also admitted that their eggs came from Minn. Hmmm, Sparboe is based in Minn. And I'm in CA. You can't find eggs any closer than 2000 miles away?

And she finished her spiel with oh, and our eggs come from Vegetarian Chickens too! I had to bite my lip not to snicker. All I could think of was how many bugs, slugs and snails my hens choke down every day. My girls are so far from being vegetarians. I almost said something and then it occurred to me that you COULD feed your hen a soy based diet and thus have a vegetarian chicken.

Anyway, I was so perplexed after all that, I ordered the oatmeal. Came home and had one of my hen's eggs for lunch. Mmmm Mmmm Good!

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I'm vegetarian (eat own eggs and have a little organic milk). I don't feed animal produce to the chickens BUT......they steal the dog and cat food given much less than half a chance, delight in dead birds, frogs etc. and even managed to find a shrew's nest. Four of them were running around the garden with tiny live rodents which they all promptly ate.

Dogs and cats are carnivores, chickens are omnivores, as by 'design' are we.....just don't choose to eat meat etc. myself. I don't think anyone who has ever kept chickens would say THEY are veggie, though!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Well, I suppose if they are kept in cages and only get feed without any animal components in it, then they'd be vegetarian. But I wouldn't say it's a sign of a happy free range flock.

4. dadthebaker

dadthebaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2011
    Los Angeles Area
    Quote:Living in the Bay Area of.... San Francisco??? *jealous icon* Whenever we go up there, we must Must MUST stop at Soul Food Farms in Vacaville. They raise free range organic chickens. An absolute favorite spot of ours!

Last I checked they were at somewhere around 1300 layers and 600 meat birds... all raised happy with love!

That type of farmer deserves serious love!

5. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Quote:Living in the Bay Area of.... San Francisco??? *jealous icon* Whenever we go up there, we must Must MUST stop at Soul Food Farms in Vacaville. They raise free range organic chickens. An absolute favorite spot of ours!

Last I checked they were at somewhere around 1300 layers and 600 meat birds... all raised happy with love!

That type of farmer deserves serious love!

I'm not familiar with Soul Food Farms. I'm going to have to check that out.

Someone else was telling me that there's a guy down in San Jose with about 1000 Ameracuna's and sells their colorful eggs.

We've been fortunate, in that our two girls give us just enough eggs.

6. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    From your description, it doesn't sound like the lady really knew what she was talking about so much as trying to impress you with how awesome the eggs she was trying to sell you on were. As others said, you probably could force a chicken to be a vegetarian, but vegetarian really isn't a natural state for a chicken to be in, nor something one should boast about considering the measures you'd have to take to ensure a chicken was strictly vegetarian (soooo many insects can get indoors, after all, and my chickens have snapped all manner of flying insect right out of the air).

7. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Yea. Let's just say I was very happy with my decision to have the oatmeal that morning.

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Really? You can't stop a fly from coming around the cages anyway and the chickens catching them if you wanted to! I've seen so many bugs tortured by my chickens [​IMG] I've seen a bantam take his sweet time to eat an earth worm. He cut it up into pieces before eating it. Definitely NOT vegetarians. Unless bugs don't count as meat? haha

9. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Quote:Awe, I would love to see your little Bantam eating his worm bite by bite. I have a Buff Orpington who is a total girly girl. She's so delicate and dainty and DH is constantly telling me I need to paint her toe nails pink and put a bow on her. [​IMG]

Anyway, she's always underfoot when I'm out in the garden hoping I'll dig up a worm and she slurps them down like oysters on the half shell. This past weekend she snapped at one that had to have been 5 inches long and then it was gone. Just vaporized. I had to blink and ask myself, did I just black out? Cuz there's no way she got that guy that fast.

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Awe, I would love to see your little Bantam eating his worm bite by bite. I have a Buff Orpington who is a total girly girl. She's so delicate and dainty and DH is constantly telling me I need to paint her toe nails pink and put a bow on her. [​IMG]

Anyway, she's always underfoot when I'm out in the garden hoping I'll dig up a worm and she slurps them down like oysters on the half shell. This past weekend she snapped at one that had to have been 5 inches long and then it was gone. Just vaporized. I had to blink and ask myself, did I just black out? Cuz there's no way she got that guy that fast.

[​IMG]

Yeah, I've seen them do this to grasshoppers as well. Come on guys! Kill them before torturing them! LOL. They also loved those huge mosquito things. No clue what they are called. Look like clumsy mosquito. [​IMG] They torture them as well [​IMG]

I tease my polish Wendy about putting pink nail polish on her all the time! She's hilarious! She talks back to me when I talk about painting her nails! She understands me, I just know it. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yes.. She's very smart.. She sees right into your thoughts.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by