1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vegetarian & Low Carb Recipes And Discussion

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by PurpleChicken, Mar 11, 2009.

1. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Now no one get carried away with this but I'm going on a diet starting
    on sunday and want to limit all animal products except eggs, yogurt, and
    maybe a little cheese.

I know what you are thinking, PC, the idiot who eats silkies made a vegie
    thread. I've always been a vegie lover and don't eat all that much meat.
    80% of the meat I do eat is from my own animals.

White flour and white flour products, like many breads and pastas, is
    another thing going bye bye.

Anyone who has read my posts should know I believe it's your right
    to eat what you want and believe moderate amounts of properly raised
    meats are appropriate for a balanced diet but what we decide to put in
    our mouths is a personal choice.

Debate should be kept to a minimum and insults are expected. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Purple Chicken,
    I love Vegetarian food especially if it's deep fried with lots of salt. [​IMG]

Actually why are you doing this? If you don't mind my asking.

Imp- who eats lots of lean protein, and veggies.

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    One thing I found when my children and I went totally vegetarian for about 6 months, there are lots of things you eat that you can just toss the meat out. [​IMG] Omelets, of course, spaghetti, chili, all sorts of soups. One thing I did when we really wanted that "meat" kick was a mock meatloaf made of beans. [​IMG] I would crush a can of dark red kidney beans and one can of light red kidney beans together. Mix with (we used crackers) you will want to use something else since you are cutting out white flour...maybe some whole grain bread...., and some oats. Then mix in everything else you use for meatloaf. It is sooooooo good and tastes so REAL!!! The kids loved it!!! [​IMG]

Good luck. I think it is a great idea and I am just about ready to go vegetarian again.....if my friend would just quit giving me awesome home grown pork and beef!!! LOL

4. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:There is nothing like a good deep fried salty vegie. [​IMG]

I'm doing this to lose weight, clean out my digestive system, and
    see how It makes me feel and any other effects it may have on me.
    I'm sorta curious. I'd like to monitor cholesterol levels too.

Once I lose 20 pounds I'll start eating lean meats again and see how my
    body reacts.

There is nothing profound or philosophical here. It just seems like a fun
    and healthy thing to do.

5. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:That meatloaf sounds great and is exactly the type of thing I'm looking
    for. I've made vegie chili before but didn't think of that either. Thanks
    for those great ideas.

6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    One more thing I thought of we really liked. We made wrap sandwiches (you can get whole grain tortillas) with every vegetable imaginable and added a couple of slices of avocado. It gave it a more substantial, "meaty" texture...spread with a little cream cheese (the vegetable cream cheese is awesome) and they are so filling and taste wonderful.

I may think of more, hope you don't mind. [​IMG]

We tired tofu stir fry once. ONCE!!!! [​IMG]

Hummus is the best stuff on earth!!! (alright, maybe not, but it is so good)

7. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Oh please do think of more. Hopefully we can even get a few recipes
    posted on the BYC recipe page.

Chick peas (Garbonzo beans) are awesome but I've never tried Hummis.
    Gonna have to.

Tofu and other soy products do nothing for me either. There is actually
    good evidence that soy is bad for you. I have no position on that other
    than Blahhhhh. [​IMG]

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

OK! I don't do anything vegetarian. Not much anyways.
    But a couple years ago I had to stop thinking of French Fries as veggies and make the switch to green stuff.
    And, give up most red meat, Saturated fats, Trans Fats etc.
    And salt
    And simple carbs. [​IMG]

Now French Fries are my Christmas Dinner. Hurry up Christmas please, please. [​IMG]

You will notice some changes- You may feel better. I do.

Do you think Chickens poop alot? You won't soon!

If you need to lower your cholesterol, it will help. I got my LDLs down so low that the lab tests are not accurate.

Gotta love those statins.

Good Luck,
    Imp- I eat lots of chicken, just not my own.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    This is a long story, but it has a point.

35 years ago I decided the only meat I would eat would be locally caught fish (current husband's religion, lol.) Stayed with that for a few years, til I was several months pregnant and started craving beef, so I resumed eating beef. Turned out I was anemic. First thing I wanted after my son was born was a huge cheeseburger. Tasted wonderful.

Then a few years later, I got disgusted with US animal processing, plus realized beef always made me feel nauseous after a meal, so I ate only fish and seafood for a bunch of years. Chicken kept being tempting, so I finally gave in and included it - and I didn't have my own birds then.

After several years of this, I started craving other meats besides beef, so gradually started including them. Ate my first piece of lamb in about 30 years only yesterday -- it was delicious -- and my first piece of pork a few months ago. But I still can't eat beef. When I have gotten a mouthful accidentally, it simply tasted rotten. So now I will eat anything but beef. It's possible that decently raised beef would not taste rotten to me. Just not interested in trying again.

Throughout all this, I found ways to get fiber into my diet, though I have never been fond of whole grains. I still use white rice and pasta. My favorite bread is unbleached white flour with oats, but then I don't eat a lot of bread. There is plenty of fiber available without eating whole wheat bread (yuck) or brown rice (yuck also.) Esp. if you like beans, and I do.

Point is, I do feel it's very much an individual thing, and you have to go with what feels right for you, and what you like, as well. There is something crazy about trying to eat what tastes bad, or refusing to eat what you crave, at least other than pure sugar or fat. Listen to your body; you will find a healthy balance. Turns out, even chocolate is good for you....

So, feels to me like you are going in a good direction, and I wish you well!

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by