Veggie gardening

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by catherine26, Feb 15, 2017.

1. catherine26

catherine26 New Egg

Feb 14, 2017
    Hi, gardeners, it is so nice that I found a forum for discussing gardening. I have a plan to start gardening lettuce and celery in my backyard. I was searching some tips as a beginner to vegetable gardening. . I saw somewhere that lettuce require partial shade and saw on another site that it requires the full sun. What is the ideal climate for growing them? What should I do to prevent any fungus activity on the plant? Also, is it possible to protect the seedlings from pests without using any pesticides, as I need it to be complete organic? I would like to get suggestions on this as I am a novice here.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2017
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You might consider joining us on the sister gardening thread. It’s run by the same people as this forum but the format is different. At least lurk for a while and see if you think you want to join us. It’s kind of an off time for us so we are not always talking about gardening, but we can focus on gardening. It’s a fairly small forum, really friendly and welcoming, but many of us have known each other for a long time so don’t be surprised if we have fun with each other. I don’t know where you are located but you might find a neighbor.

https://www.theeasygarden.com/

All gardening is local. What you can grow or even how and when you grow it will depend a lot on your climate. I tried celery several years ago and was pretty unsuccessful. Some of that may have been that I didn’t know what I was doing and part might have been climate. I’m trying celeriac (celery root) this year for the first time. I’ll see how that goes.

Lettuce is a cool weather crop. It doesn’t handle frost and freezes very well but hot weather makes it bolt to seed and turn bitter. I grow the loose leaf type, not head lettuce. I plan to sow some seeds in two or three weeks, depending in weather, to get it started. When a frost or freeze is forecast I’ll cover it with cloth sheets to try to protect it. If I wait until the danger of frost is past, it will turn hot before I get much of anything out of it.

Another option would be to start the seeds indoors and transplant them. I don’t but it could work.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Welcome to BYC. It's practically impossible to learn what you need to know about gardening from a few posts. It's a life long hobby and learning adventure! If you put your general location in your profile, that will help immensely. B/C the information I will give you is very different (because I live in gardening zone 4) than you will get from someone in gardening zone 8! Lettuce is a cool weather crop, and there are many varieties, enough to fill many pages in a typical seed catalog! Some of those varieties tolerate more heat than others. Celery is a difficult crop to grow. It absolutely hates to be chilled when the plants are young. And it absolutely hates to have dry feet. And it absolutely hates to have too much moisture. That encourages root rot. But... if you can keep the plants happy, they are apt to be tough and stringy, until they've had a few light frosts. Then... and only then, if you've done everything right, it is a wonderful treat!!!

I would suggest that you get to your local library and bring home an arm load of gardening books.

Also, take the time to view this video:

Ruth Stout was an old time pioneer of deep mulch gardening. Any of her books would be worth a read. You might also like to read Lasagna Gardening by Patricia Lanza. Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew might appeal to you

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  4. Joshua2017

Joshua2017 Just Hatched

Feb 9, 2017
    Can a brother join the sister gardening thread?? I have green fingers myself :)

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    It's only a sister gardening site b/c it's related to this site! All gardeners welcome! Wanna put your general location in your profile, then, tell us what your green fingers have been up to???

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

Some of the best cooks are men. Some of the best gardeners are men. But yes, men are outnumbered on that gardening forum, not as much as on this one, but we are somewhat limited in number. Any help over there would be appreciated.

It’s a relatively small group of active members. We have some active international members but most are in the US. Several of us have been active for years and often tease each other, usually north versus south and the differences in growing seasons, but occasionally on other things like the battle of the sexes. As long as you see it as friends joking with one another and don’t take it personal we get along quite well.

There are some good gardening people that frequent this gardening section on this forum too, like LG. Putting your location in your profile so we can better understand your climate can help a lot more in a gardening forum than a chicken forum, and it often helps with chickens. Just feel welcome in either forum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by