veggies? for baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thebanthams, Feb 22, 2012.

1. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    My chickies are now 2 days old ! They are eating "Babychickie food" How old can they try to nibble lettuce or veggie scraps ? Is there certain kinds of foods thats safe for them ?

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    My chicks would nibble on some veggies at about a week old or so, you wanna keep them on a good diet for the first few days.

3. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Mine wouldn't even try to eat they extra treats until they were a week old. I tried feeding them a bit of cucumber, peach, banana, etc. They just didn't get that it was food. They would peck at everything but the treat. =P

4. Charrisse

Charrisse Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Nashville, Indiana
    My babies are 12 days old today, and at about 5-7 days, I started giving them raw oats, scrambled egg, crickets, and earthworms as "treats". The crickets I get at the pet store and dump them in the brooder and let the chicks practice hunting, pecking, scratching and playing chase - so funny! I put the earthworms in the sand box and they dig them up. Hopefully good practice for when they are old enough to be outside.

5. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Cool !!! I like to see my chickies play with food ! got to be fun to watch them play !!

6. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Tip for finding earthworms? Did you get them from your yard? I hate trying to find them. :\

7. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    I saw the last post and though I have always give my chicks an earthworm or two as a treat in the past, I thought I should warn you that someone told me that your chickens could get Blackhead from eating them. If this turns out not to be true, a good way to find earthworms is looking under rocks or blocks, just beware of snakes when it's warmer.

8. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Hmm... well, if they were with Momma they would eat earthworms, right? o_O

9. Charrisse

Charrisse Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Nashville, Indiana
    What is blackhead? I find tons of earthworms under the large rocks lining my garden and under the log "seats" by the fire pit lol!

10. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    I looked it up on a search and found several sites on blackhead. I found some information on Wikipedia, which I realize can be subjective, and one was at www.millerhatcheries.com It said that earthworms can be carriers of blackhead, but most of the time chickens are only carriers of the disease, but if raised with turkeys, it has a greater effect on turkeys. It said that it effects the liver and the cecum and that the disease carries a high mortality rate. Anyway, I don't raise turkeys and have never noticed any problems with our chickens, but I guess it is something to be considered.

By the way, I have no idea what a cecum is and when I looked that up, I still don't know. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by