Veggie's for the flock ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cajunlizz, Jul 13, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    anybody ever feed the chickens cooked green beans ?

Or field peas ? WHAT OTER KINDS could I feed them ?

How about Leftover speggetti ?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  2. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    I don't know
    I just got mine
    I have tried bananas. romaine lettuce, necterine, and they didn't want anything to do with those foods- could be I just got them yesterday- I'm gonna keep on trying.

3. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    I planted some collard greens and they seem to really love them. Collards will stay green all winter here in Kentucky. Collards in the second year will flower out with hundreds of little yellow flowers and look nice. But you have to protect them from chickens which will pull down a six foot tall plant to get to the leaves.

Collards don't live past the second year. the stalks get hollow and break off. As a bonus the Collard plant is related to the tobacco family and supposidly you can dry them out and smoke them like tobacco.

I have also seen my hens eat Honeysuckle leaves and even English Ivy during the winter when nothing else was available. When I see them eating these I go buy a head of lettuce.

4. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    what about asking stores & farmers for their reject produce to feed the birds in the winter? not moldy but wilty or bruised...

5. drumstyx

drumstyx Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado
  6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Anything you eat, they can eat.

Now, green feed (it's more proper name) grown specifically for chickens have always tended to be the rougher stuff:

Kale
    Cabbage
    Collards
    Beets
    Turnips
    Chards
    Alfalfa
    Clover
    Oat grass
    Kentucky or Timothy grass as pasture

These are some that come to mind. It has been common in times past to have a chicken garden and people garden.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  7. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    I put some alfalfa hay in the coop the other day, chickens thought they where in heaven. They also love all the left over corn cobs and watermellon. Why won't my Alpine goats eat the watermellon?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by