Veggies?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Berlena, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Berlena

Berlena Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    Near Disneyland!
    Is there a list of safe veggies that coturnix like? I'd love to give them some of my scrap veggies! [​IMG]

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I took some thawed out frozen peas and put them in the quail pen yesterday. They POUNCED on those peas and they were gone in no time.

Our young male used a pea to bribe some of the girls to get close to him. He was holding on to that pea and making a kind of warbling call. When one of the girls got close, he dropped the pea for her and then jumped on top. I guess that qualifies as a dinner date for a quail!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    GLAZED CARROTS AND FRIED POTATOES [​IMG]

OH, OOPS SORRY THATS SIDE DISHES [​IMG]

DONT GO ALL VEGAN ON THEM... YOU CAN ACTUALLY CAUSE A STARVE OUT IF THEY DONT GET SUFFICIENT PROTIEN IN THEIR DIET, BUT BASICALLY YOU CAN GIVE THEM LITTLE TREATS FROM TIME TO TIME WITH NO HARM. WHATEVER VEGGIES THEY LIKE... MANY FOLKS USE ALL KINDS--- FREAH CORN, PEAS, BEANS, LETTUCE, GREENS, EVEN GRASS. OH AND PUMPKIN! FRESH, RAW PUMPKIN... NOT ONLY DO THEY LIKE IT, ITS ALSO A NATURAL DEWORMER

4. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    I give ours Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peas, green beans...Basically all manners of veggies. They'll eat fruit and berries too, but again, all these things are treats, not actual food.

5. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Quote:[​IMG] That's it, frozen peas it is for treat time. [​IMG] We'll leave the sprays of Millet for Spring festival time.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I usually pull a couple handfuls of clover out of the yard now and then (when it's in season), otherwise they get their feed all the time and some wild bird seed once in a while as a treat.

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I get tons of Creeping Charlie weeds in the yard so the birds LOVE it, the quail get it as well.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I get tons of Creeping Charlie weeds in the yard so the birds LOVE it, the quail get it as well.

I'm sure I pull more than clover, I just grab a handful of whatever's close (and not covered with goose crap [​IMG]) and toss it in. They get to where they watch for me when it's nice out, they usually won't eat their feed when they REALLY want greens!

9. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I must be the only one that doesn't really give their birds treats. I almost feel quilty. Not really.
    I spent a small fortune on feed as it is, and I only go thru 100# a week on average.

10. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Quote:ACK!! How many birds do you have?

Oh wait.....

I go through 50# of layer feed and another 50# of Scratch grains a week, so I guess 100# is about right....

I only have 30 Chickens and 6 adult quail. The babies are still on starter feed......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by