Veggies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Madjohn85, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Madjohn85

Madjohn85 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Central Jersey
    So, I have heard it say that chickens will eat anything. Which sounds a lot like my beagles.

Let me back-track for a second. I belong to an organic fruits and vegetable co-op. I was helping distribute the produce this morning and saw how they put aside the 'not almost perfect' produce, such as kale, lettuce, zuccini, ect. I asked her what she was going to do with it and she said, probably let it compost in her yeard an dmaybe some wild animals will get it. I asked her if I could have it for our rabbit and she was excited. Then I told her I also had chickens and she almost flipped out with joy.

I was wondering, can I throw some of this produce, not a lot, just a little at a time to my almost 6 week old chicks?

When do you people give the chickens scraps?

They have been on starter this whole time and that's it.

2. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    My Barred Plymoth Rocks started eating kitchen scraps at 2 weeks. They will eat anything at any age.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I give finely chopped veggies to my chicks, from the time I get them~ 2 days old.

For 6 weeks old I'd just make sure the vegies are not too large and provide grit, so they can digest it.

Imp

4. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    You can give your adult bird scraps at any time. Just make sure they have gravel or grout too. As far as babies, I started giving them tiny pieces of table scraps at about 3 weeks. Soft stuff mostly.

5. Chickaroos

Chickaroos Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    I started giving my babies veggie scraps around 2 weeks old. They LOVE grapes, apples and go seriously crazy for bananas! Its adorable! Since then (they are 6 weeks old now) they have had raw broccoli, romaine and a lot of green trimmings from veggies. (strawberry tops, carrot tops, celery leaves)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by